DAVID HERZOG serves as the academic adviser to the National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting (NICAR), a joint program of the Missouri School of Journalism and Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc., a global association of journalists. Herzog specializes in using geographic information systems (GIS) tools to report the news and is author of the new book Mapping the News: Case Studies in GIS and Journalism, which explores how journalists have used analytic mapping software to discover news stories. Before joining the J-School faculty in January 2002, Herzog spent five years as an investigative reporter at the Providence Journal in Rhode Island, where he used computer-assisted reporting to cover public corruption. Earlier, he was the editor for computer-assisted reporting at The Morning Call in Allentown, Pa., a business reporter for the Baltimore Sun and general assignment reporter for other newspapers in Pennsylvania. Herzog holds a bachelor’s degree in radio-television-film from Temple University in Philadelphia.
- David Herzog. Data Literacy: A User's Guide, Sage Publications, 2015.
- David Herzog. Mapping the News: Case Studies in GIS and Journalism, ESRI Press, 2003.
- Feb 10, 2015: Professor David Herzog Publishes Book on Data Literacy
- Feb 3, 2015: Master's Student to Represent the School in News21 Program
- Nov 25, 2014: NPR Series Benefits from Graduate Student's Data Journalism Skills
- Feb 12, 2014: Students Add Interactive Mapping to Their Journalism Toolkit After Workshop Hosted by ONA Mizzou
- Sep 30, 2013: 3 Missouri Journalism Alumni to Lead Upcoming Workshop on Data Journalism
- Nov 19, 2012: Project Open Vault Website Offers New Platform for Election Coverage
- Mar 18, 2011: Journalism Professor Works to Make Missouri Information More Accessible
- Jul 9, 2010: Two Missouri Journalism Faculty Members Named 2010-2011 Reynolds Journalism Institute Fellows
- Mar 4, 2009: Missouri Journalism Student Documents Wrongful Conviction
- Feb 7, 2008: New Innocence Project Gives Students Investigative Reporting Experience and Legal Knowledge
- Jul 13, 2007: New Book by Missouri Journalism Faculty Shows the Important Roles that Journalism Plays in Our Country's Democracy
- Sep 10, 2003: New Book by Missouri Journalism Professor Focuses on the Benefits of GIS in Journalism