KEVIN WISE is an associate professor of strategic communication and co-director of the Psychological Research on Information and Media Effects (PRIME) Lab. His research explores how different features of online media affect cognition and emotion. This research has been published in numerous peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Computers in Human Behavior, CyberPsychology & Behavior, Communication Research, Media Psychology, and the Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media. Wise is an active member of the International Communication Association (ICA) and the Society for Psychophysiological Research (SPR). He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Indiana University and his doctorate from Stanford University.
- K. Wise, S. Alhabash and H. Park. “Emotional Responses during Social Information Seeking on Facebook.” CyberPsychology and Behavior (2010).
- M. Sternadori and K. Wise. “Do Men and Women Read News Differently? Effects of Story Structure on Cognitive Processing of Text.” Journal of Media Psychology.
Refereed Paper Presentations
- Second Place Faculty Paper. Saleem Alhabash, Hyojung Park and Kevin Wise. “Emotional Responses During Facebook Use: Two Conceptual Frameworks.” AEJMC annual conference, Boston, Aug. 5-8, 2009.
- Saleem Alhabash, Petya Eckler, and Kevin Wise. “Window Shopping Online: Cognitive and Emotional Processing of General and Specific Product Windows.” American Academy of Advertising, Minneapolis, March 10-13, 2010.
- Sep 12, 2012: Facebook Profile Pictures Influence Perceived Attractiveness, Journalism Study Finds
- May 16, 2012: Missouri School of Journalism Scholars to Participate in Global Research Conference
- Sep 8, 2011: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 94 Papers at International Research Conference
- Aug 18, 2011: Extreme Negative Anti-Smoking Ads Can Backfire, MU Experts Find
- Aug 4, 2011: Columbia Missourian's July 1 Front Page Selected as One of the Nation's Best by the Newseum
- Apr 12, 2011: News Writing Styles Not to Blame for Newspaper Readership Decline, MU Researchers Find
- Nov 1, 2010: Training Away Stereotypes
- Jul 29, 2010: Missouri Journalism Students, Faculty to Present 44 Papers at International Research Conference
- Jun 7, 2010: Missouri Journalism Students, Faculty, Alumni to Present 12 Papers, Lead Panel Discussions at 2010 ICA Conference in Singapore
- Apr 29, 2010: Missouri's Strategic Communication Researchers Rank No. 1 in Advertising Publications
- Apr 22, 2010: The Joy is in the Social Hunt
- Mar 4, 2010: MU Researcher Finds More Effective Ways to Converge Media
- Nov 30, 2009: Dubrowski to Intern in the White House Internship Program for Spring 2010
- Nov 13, 2009: MU Researchers Find Internet Search Process Affects Cognition, Emotion
- Aug 26, 2009: Online News Garners More Attention from Readers if It's Negative and Localized, MU Study Finds
- Jul 22, 2009: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Students to Present 50 Scholarly Papers, Lead 21 Sessions at Upcoming Research Conference
- Jul 13, 2009: Strategic Communication Professor Named Associate Editor of Journal of Interactive Advertising
- May 19, 2009: Missouri Faculty, Students Present 36 Papers at ICA Conference
- Nov 14, 2008: HCD Research Partners with Missouri School of Journalism to Conduct Advanced Consumer Advertising Research
- Oct 8, 2008: Advergames: Theme of Game Is Secret to Success
- May 27, 2008: Missouri Journalism Faculty and Students Presented 46 Papers at 2008 ICA Conference
- Aug 30, 2007: Missouri Researchers Present 47 Papers, Panel Discussions at Leading Academic Conference
- Jul 12, 2007: 'Less is More' Online
- Apr 30, 2007: 31 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Student Papers on Program at 2007 ICA Conference
- Apr 18, 2007: Undergraduate Researcher to Present Original Scholarly Work at Premiere International Academic Meeting
- Mar 27, 2007: Strategic Communication Summit Highlights Evolving Media, Technology and Research
- Nov 10, 2006: Building a Better Online Community
- Oct 30, 2006: Research Abilities Develop Practical Career Skills
- Oct 24, 2006: Strategic Planning for Strategic Communication Education
- Jul 7, 2006: Having Control Might Be Good, but It's Not Interesting
- May 25, 2006: Missouri Journalism Faculty and Students to Present 31 Papers at 2006 ICA Conference in Germany
- Feb 6, 2006: New PRIME Lab Web Site to Facilitate Sharing of Media Effects Research
- Sep 9, 2004: The Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes Five New Faculty Members