MAGGIE WALTER is a professor and night news editor at the Columbia Missourian. She joined the MU faculty in August 2003. Walter serves as the faculty adviser for the MU Chapter of the American Copy Editors Society and is a member of the national organization. She is a faculty member for the annual Dow Jones Newspaper Fund Missouri Editing Excellence Workshop held at the Missouri School of Journalism. She is also a Wakonse and a Diversity Fellow.
She was selected as the outstanding journalism alumna for 2014 at Ball State University “for outstanding service to journalism higher education.”
Walter is a graduate of Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., with a bachelor of science and master of arts degrees in journalism. She came to Missouri from the Portland (Maine) Press Herald where she had been the features editor. Earlier newspaper experiences were serving as wire editor, news editor, business editor, assistant Sunday editor and Sunday editor at The Telegraph/The Sunday Telegraph in Nashua, N.H.; city government, business and economic development reporter at The Anderson (Ind.) Bulletin; features and news reporter at The Kokomo (Ind.) Tribune; and stints as editor at two weekly newspapers.
Walter is a former president of the New Hampshire Press Association and of the New England Associated Press News Executives Association.
- Sep 10, 2015: School Welcomes New Faculty Members, Announces Promotions
- Mar 30, 2015: 2 Missouri Students Win American Copy Editors Society Scholarships
- Jul 23, 2014: 18 Freshman Interest Groups to Focus on Journalism for Fall 2014
- Apr 22, 2014: Associate Professor Maggie Walter Receives Outstanding Journalism Alumna Award from Ball State University
- Apr 10, 2014: 3 Missouri Journalism Students Selected for Dow Jones News Fund Internship
- Apr 10, 2014: Junior Katie Yaeger Is One of 5 National Winners of a $1,000 Editing Scholarship
- Mar 4, 2013: Missouri Journalism Students Conduct Guerrilla Grammar Blitz to Celebrate National Grammar Day
- Feb 8, 2012: Journalism Student, Alumni Win Three of Five ACES Scholarships
- Apr 5, 2011: Barone Wins $1,000 Scholarship for Editing
- Oct 20, 2010: Three from Missouri School of Journalism Attend Regional ACES Conference
- Aug 16, 2010: Missouri Urban Journalism Workshop Provides Hands-On Print, Broadcast Experience for 19 High School Students
- Apr 22, 2010: School Is Honored with the 2010 ACES Glamann Award for Contributions to Editing
- Mar 10, 2010: Missouri School of Journalism Book on Arrow Rock Wins the Prestigious 2010 Osmund Overby Award
- Sep 9, 2009: New Book on St. James, Mo., Features Photographs of Missouri School of Journalism Students and Missouri Photo Workshop Participants
- Sep 22, 2006: New Professional Group Helps Students Hone Copy-Editing Skills
- May 1, 2006: Sorbara Named Top Copy Editing Student in U.S.
- Dec 15, 2005: iLife, Camera, Action!
- Sep 4, 2003: The Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes Nine New Faculty Members