Walter Williams Society
The Walter Williams Society was founded to recognize the generosity of our alumni and friends to the Missouri School of Journalism. The philanthropic support of major donors helps sustain the School as a worldwide leader in journalism education. This history of philanthropy dates back to the School’s founding in 1908. The first significant gift, that of Neff Hall, was made in 1918 by grateful alumnus Ward Neff, BJ ’13. Since then, major gifts have provided for buildings, endowed faculty chairs, student support and research. Membership in the Walter Williams Society is open to alumni and friends of the Missouri School of Journalism.
The Walter Williams Society honors individuals who have cumulatively contributed $50,000 or more to the J-School.
Walter Williams Society members take pride in the knowledge that their support is allowing future generations of journalism students an education at the world’s first and best school of journalism. Walter Williams Society members become part of the history of private support that began in 1908 and has continued to move the School forward. Walter Williams Society members also receive distinction as part of the Dean’s Leadership Circle and MU’s Jefferson Club. Names of Walter Williams Society members are displayed at the School. All members receive a copy of The Journalist’s Creed.