Students studying strategic communication explore the world of advertising and public relations. But they don’t just study it in the classroom. They experience it through the Missouri Method – solving real-world problems, working with real clients and learning not only from faculty but also from leading industry professionals.
Start your career by your senior year.
MOJO Ad and AdZou, the school’s two professional student-run advertising agencies, provide the opportunity to work with real clients who have real communication challenges. Students develop a strategic campaign and a comprehensive plan book that they present at the end of their semester to the client. Through this capstone experience, students emerge from the program equipped to contribute in valuable ways to the professional communication world.
Career options: the possibilities are endless!
Career options are plentiful with an emphasis in strategic communication. Choose to work in a full-service or specialized advertising agency, public relations firm, non-profit organization, design firm, media agency, sports entertainment company, a corporate marketing or communication department within an organization, events firm or promotion firm – just to name a few. Beyond these varied work environments are a multitude of different job positions.
- Account Management: Oversee campaign development, inspire others and maintain the client relationship.
- Art Direction: Take your visual ideas from concept to completion.
- Copywriting: Draw on diverse sources to think creatively and write brand stories.
- Digital Strategy: Positions may be focused on a particular type of digital work like SEO, social media or web development, while other positions involve working on both traditional and digital aspects of advertising and public relations campaigns.
- Media: Learn the art and science of deciding where, when and how often a brand’s ads will be placed.
- Public Relations: Communicate brand messages in authentic and believable ways.
- Research: Understand the needs, concerns and perceptions of your audience.
- Sports Promotion and Entertainment: Tailor your skills to the unique needs of the sports and entertainment industry.
- Video Storytelling: Take advantage of the latest technology to develop video content for brands.