Missouri University Journalism Workshop
Summer 2021 workshop dates: June 25 – July 1
The MUJW workshop allows students to investigate and develop multi-media stories across many areas of coverage. Students will be immersed in learning The Missouri Method of journalism, hands-on learning by doing. Workshop participants will have the opportunity to learn from working journalists and Mizzou journalism faculty.
Original reporting experience will give students real newsroom skills and allow for more creative work. The workshop will also focus on reporting accuracy and covering diverse communities that are often left out of the news coverage.
During the workshop, participants stay in a Mizzou residence hall that is staffed with residence hall counselors. Participants eat at Plaza 900 dining hall for breakfast and dinner.
Student work may be published on the MUJW Urban Pioneer website and in the School’s professional, real-world, award-winning news outlets:
- Columbia Missourian, the City of Columbia’s morning newspaper
- KOMU-TV, mid-Missouri’s NBC affiliate
- KBIA-FM, mid-Missouri’s NPR affiliate
Don’t take our word for all you will learn by attending the summer workshop. Here is what participants from 2020 had to say about their experience:
- “I really enjoyed the workshop and feel like I have learned a lot that I can bring back to my high school journalism program!”
- “It was helpful to show me different paths in journalism and expand my view of what being a journalist could mean for me as a career path. It was also nice to meet some of the faculty that would teach me if I go to Mizzou.”
- “The workshop was very informative, I was grateful for the wide reach of topics and skills covered. I also really appreciated the hands-on assignments/practice as well as the feedback we were able to receive in small groups. The opportunity to apply these concepts and strategies helped me solidify everything I learned. Thank you so much for this incredible opportunity! I will definitely recommend the workshop to anyone I know with an interest in journalism!”
- “It was a great opportunity for me and I’m glad I get to take back the information I got to my school’s newspaper. I learned a lot about how to fix my stories, and what to do during interviews, and I also got feedback on how much I should put into those stories and when to calm down on the writing. I also learned about what I should do to continue doing journalism in the future.”
- “I really loved the workshop. All the talks were helpful and brought something new to the table. The workshop only encouraged my love and passion for journalism.”
2021 Workshop Details
- Workshop dates: June 25-July 1, 2021
- Application deadline: TBD
- Location: University of of Missouri School of Journalism, Columbia, Mo.
- Cost: $675
For more information, please contact Ron Kelley.