The Missouri School of Journalism curriculum is designed to allow first-year students to dive in to the worlds of journalism and strategic communication on day one. Whether you have a little experience or a lot, the School offers you many ways to apply your journalism and strategic communication skills to careers in a wide variety of fields. You will work with your academic adviser to tailor your courses based on your particular interests.
You begin to develop your core knowledge about journalism and strategic communication in your freshman year.
- Principles of Journalism in Democracy
- Fundamentals of Visual Journalism and Strategic Communication
- Fundamentals of Written Journalism and Strategic Communication
- Applied Projects for Journalism and Strategic Communication
Sophomore and Junior Years
You will build on your knowledge and skills in your sophomore and junior years.
- Cross-Cultural Journalism
- Audiences and Persuasion
- Social Media Foundations and Practice
- Newsroom Content and Creation OR Principles of Strategic Communication
- Communications Law
- History of American Journalism OR History of Photojournalism
Senior Year Capstone
Your capstone course is the culmination of your career-focus studies and is taken in the final semester of your senior year. Your work will help you polish your portfolio and showcase your readiness for your first job. Capstone projects focus on an array of topics, tailored to students interests and studies.
Career paths consist of intermediate and advanced courses that give you hands-on experience in professional newsrooms and agencies, our Missouri Method. Students will use additional journalism elective course to further customize their degree in areas such as sports, science, health, business and the environment.
You will select one of six career paths to focus your studies in your junior year.
- Cross-Platform Editing and Producing
- Photojournalism and Documentary
- Reporting and Writing
- Social and Audience Strategy
- Strategic Communication
Additionally, Journalism and Strategic Communication students can customize their career path–tailored to your career interests–through journalism electives. The sky’s the limit!
- Account Management
- Art Direction
- Arts and Culture
- Broadcast Radio News
- Broadcast TV News
- Business Journalism
- Digital Strategy
- Documentary Journalism
- Government Journalism
- Innovation and Technology
- International Journalism
- Investigative and Data Journalism
- Magazine Writing
- Media Planning
- Novak Leadership
- Photojournalism Stills and Video
- Print and Digital Reporting
- Public Relations
- Science, Health and Environment
- Social Leadership
- Sports and Entertainment Promotion
- Sports Journalism
- Strategic Communication Research
- Strategic Communication Visual Storytelling
- Visual Editing and Management