Missouri School of Journalism broadcast graduate to work full-time in Chicago Cubs control room

Ethan Levy caught the reaction of the Mizzou Men's Basketball team as they learned they were the No. 7 seed in the NCAA South Region on March 12, 2023.

Ethan Levy caught the reaction of the Mizzou Men’s Basketball team as they learned they were the No. 7 seed in the NCAA South Region on March 12, 2023.

By Benjamin Miller

Ethan Levy
Ethan Levy

COLUMBIA, Mo. (May 9, 2024) — Broadcast major Ethan Levy will be one out of the 380 undergraduate students recognized during the Missouri School of Journalism’s graduation commencement on Friday, May 10.

Having spent his childhood in Northbrook, Illinois, about 30 miles northwest of Chicago, Levy plans on using the technical skills he learned working for Mizzou Broadcast Operations to create various pieces of creative content for Cubs Productions. The media service broadcasts live games nationwide and produces the in-venue entertainment — montages, animations and playbacks — for the Chicago Cubs baseball team during games.

“I will be responsible for basically building, maintaining and creating content for their various control room systems for the Cubs, which I’m really looking forward to,” Levy said.

Chris Simonson, the assistant director of video board operations for the Chicago Cubs, said he hired Levy because of his experience working with similar broadcast software at Mizzou Broadcast Operations. Levy also landed the position because of his ability to dig deeper into the software to find problems and keep the control rooms running.

“I think it’s rare for us to find someone who is willing to dig deep into something so technical and be willing to make a mistake as long as he can figure out, then, how to fix it before production starts,” Simonson said. “We need people who will help us take our shows to the next level, and Ethan has that quality.”

Levy worked his way to earning the position by interning as a production assistant for the Cubs Productions team the summer before his senior year. He said it was an experience he dreamed about since his youth, considering his ties to the Chicago area and Chicago sports.

It’s a little cliche, but I had a full circle moment. When I realized the work I was doing at Mizzou, it translated well into my position with the Cubs. It wouldn’t have been possible without the technical, camera and visual skills I learned with Mizzou Broadcast.

Ethan Levy

“I remember going to Cubs games when I was little and how much fun they were because of how immersive the production team made the overall viewing experience,” Levy said. “I can’t wait to do the same.”

The summer before his junior year, Levy applied for the same internship with the Cubs but didn’t receive the position. After obtaining the internship, followed by a full-time job with the production team, he said it was an experience that taught him to never give up on what you want.

“It’s a little cliche, but I had a full circle moment. When I realized the work I was doing at Mizzou, it translated well into my position with the Cubs,” Levy said.

“It wouldn’t have been possible without the technical, camera and visual skills I learned with Mizzou Broadcast.”

Levy realized the School of Journalism was for him after attending a journalism workshop at the J-School during his junior year of high school. Inspired by the workshop, Levy also spent his time at Mizzou working as an MUJW Counselor where he encouraged prospective high school students to take up a journalism degree at Mizzou.

Throughout the last three years at the School, Levy worked multiple positions for Mizzou Broadcast Operations, including camera work, designing graphics and production assistance.

Stan Silvey, director of Mizzou Broadcast Operations, said that Levy also moved up and produced the broadcast for multiple MU games, “which is rare for any student to do,” Silvey said.

One of the games Levy helped produce was the high stakes Mizzou vs. Tennessee football game in November, in which the Tigers handily defeated the No. 14 Volunteers 36-7.   

“We rely on students to help with a volume of events, and so having talented students that are dedicated to making time working with us is very important,” Silvey said. “Ethan was definitely one of those students who was crucial to what we do.”

Updated: May 9, 2024