From Mizzou to the White House

Erika Trombley walks down the halls of the White House with Vice President Kamala Harris

By Sydney Perry

Erika Trombley, director of Consumer Media at the White House, reflects on her journey to her dream position

Erika Trombley outside of the White House

Erika Trombley graduated from the University of Missouri School of Journalism in 2016 and has since found success in different industries, cities and companies around the United States. Trombley has used what she learned at Mizzou with her emphasis in Strategic Communication and a minor in French, to seek out positions that fulfill her creativity, grow her skill sets and keep her excited to come to work each day.

Her approach to work really began during her J-School study abroad experience in London, where she got to do communications and editorial writing. She learned the importance of relationship building and knew that the friends and coworkers she met in London would stick with her for a long time.

“To be honest, the Mizzou Journalism study abroad program changed my life,” said Trombley. “It was just such a special opportunity to get to meet people and learn. To this day, I talk to people who still live in London; my boss from my internship actually helped me get to my career today, which is really special.”

Trombley has never been one to stay in her comfort zone. She’s always found her favorite jobs are the ones that she learns and grows as she goes. After her stint in London, she interned with companies like Warner Brothers and Mashable in New York City. Those positive experiences led her to move right back to the Big Apple after graduation, working for the renowned magazine Cosmopolitan.

“Something I remember from my time at Mizzou is how we were encouraged and empowered to try things on our own and figure them out as we go,” said Trombley. “I think the Missouri Method really taught me how to be an advocate for myself and to define my own success, which has really played a part in my career path and who I am in general.”

Erika Trombley alongside her AdZou capstone team members outside of the columns, 2016

After continuing to work in the entertainment industry, Trombley felt a calling to move to a job that she could personally connect with and have a true impact on the people around her. In a brand new position created to reach citizens in new and innovative ways, Trombley now serves as the Director of Consumer Media on the White House Communications Team. In this new position, Trombley works to connect with and inform an audience that may not be consuming traditional media everyday.

“We try to humanize the administration through fun and new ways,” said Trombley. “So instead of solely pitching to, let’s say, the New York Times, I’ll book a segment on The Kelly Clarkson Show or a podcast interview to connect with that audience. It’s all about connection and sharing important information from the White House with those who should hear it.”

Trombley says that one of her favorite parts of this position is that it allows her to see a real impact around her and she knows that when she comes to work everyday, she is helping someone.

“What’s done here at the White House is all in an effort to help people; to make a difference. It’s serving the people of this country,” said Trombley. “In any job, it can be easy to get caught up and complain about little things, but when we get letters that have been written into the President from real people with real stories, it’s a good reminder that we are serving a higher purpose and what we are doing has real meaning.” 

Erika Trombley and friends at her graduation from the Missouri School of Journalism, 2016

Originating a position anywhere can be intimidating, but Trombley felt that her background in strategic communication helped her with the confidence and skill needed to tackle and excel in a job like this.

“Coming into this new job, I am really using the same set of skills I learned at Mizzou and those I grew throughout my 8 years in more editorial positions,” said Trombley. “It’s pitching, it’s communication, it’s strategy, and most of all it is relationship building. That is the No. 1 part of my job.”

Trombley says that her time at the University of Missouri prepared her well for her post-graduation journey and encourages all students to push themselves to places they never thought they could go.

“I never thought I would or even could work in government, but here I am,” said Trombley. “There is nothing out there that you can’t do, so if you want it, go for it.”

Updated: June 3, 2024