Interact with family, friends, faculty, fellow Tigers and MU alumni on social media as we congratulate the class of 2020.
Columbia, Mo. (May 8, 2020) — Missouri School of Journalism spring 2020 graduates will receive a special shout-out as part of Mizzou’s Class of 2020 social media celebration. The 24-hour event will begin at 2 p.m. on Friday, May 15, and continue through Saturday, 2 p.m. May 16.
“We are so proud of the many accomplishments and the dedication our spring graduates have demonstrated during their time here at the School,” said David Kurpius, dean of the Missouri School of Journalism. “This social media celebration expresses the pride and heartfelt congratulations the faculty and staff have for each of our graduates.”
This celebration is intended to mark the traditional spring commencement weekend and to allow families and friends an opportunity to publicly recognize the accomplishments of their Mizzou graduates – but it is not intended to replace the commencement ceremony.
Campus leadership is working on plans to invite all May graduates back to campus for an in-person commencement event at a later date. More details about that event will be communicated when available.
Throughout the 24-hour period, the School encourages graduates, friends, family and alumni to celebrate and congratulate the class of 2020. Tag the School’s social media accounts (@mujschool) and use the hashtags #GreatSince1908 and #MizzouMade.
Day One: Friday, May 15
- 2-2:30 p.m. Official welcome and best wishes from Mizzou campus leaders. Available on Mizzou’s official Facebook page and shared on the Journalism School’s Facebook page.
- 3 p.m. Congratulations from Dean Kurpius.
- 3:15–4 p.m. Recognition of the Missouri School of Journalism Spring 2020 graduates. The three videos will display names in alphabetical order according to the following schedule.
- 3:15 p.m. Doctoral candidates/Master’s candidates
- 3:30 p.m. Bachelor of Journalism degree
- 3:45 p.m. Bachelor of Journalism with an emphasis in Strategic Communication
- 4-8 p.m. Social media blitz begins. Family, friends, faculty, staff and others are encouraged to share well-wishes from their personal accounts and use the hashtag #MizzouMade or #GreatSince1908.
- 4, 5 and 6 p.m. (top of each hour)
- Congratulatory messages from the J-School’s Commencement Speaker Hall-of-Fame (part 1)
Day Two: Saturday, May 16
- 9, 10, 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. (top of each hour)
- Congratulatory messages from the J-School’s Commencement Speaker Hall-of-Fame (part 2)
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Social media blitz continues.
- 1:15-2 p.m. Recognition of the Spring 2020 Journalism graduates (replay)
- 1:15 p.m. Doctoral candidates/Master’s candidates
- 1:30 p.m. Bachelor of Journalism degree
- 1:45 p.m. Bachelor of Journalism with an emphasis in Strategic Communication
- 2 p.m. Virtual celebration concludes.
Updated: May 18, 2020