DEBRA MASON brings more than 25 years of professional reporting, research, and teaching experience to her position. Her major religion and media research work includes a content audit of religion news spanning 50 years and the largest telephone survey of religion journalists. She edited the recently published Religion Reporting: A Guide to Journalism’s Best Beat, and co-edited Readings in Religion as News, a collection of religion news from the colonial era to the present. Mason also serves on the editorial board and is book review editor for the Journal of Media and Religion. Mason holds a doctoral degree in mass communication from Ohio University in Athens, a master’s in journalism from Northwestern University in Chicago and a master’s in theological studies from Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus, Ohio. Mason has received numerous grants, awards and other honors for her work. She is a member of the American Academy of Religion, Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication and the Council for National Journalism Organizations, among many others.
- Debra Mason. Reporting on Religion: A Primer on Journalism's Best Beat, Religion Newswriters Association, 2006.
- Debra Mason, Justin Artf and Amy B. White. An Online Course in Religious Literacy, New Forums: Stillwater, OK., 2011. In the book Fostering Religious Literacy across Campus. Mariam Rosalyn Diamond, editor. Pp. 45-76.
- Debra Mason, Amy White. Investigating Religion: An Investigative Reporter's Guide, Oxford Press, 2013.
- Debra Mason. Reporting on Religion: A Stylebook on Journalism's Best Beat, Religion Newswriters Association, 2007.
- Debra Mason, Co-editor, with Judie Buddenbaum.. Readings in Religion as News, Ames, IA: Iowa State University Press, 1999.
- Apr 22, 2013: 'Career Explorations in Journalism' Course Receives $40,000 Redesign Grant
- Mar 6, 2013: Missouri Journalism Professor and Alumna Among 8 Named to Media Diversity Forum
- Aug 14, 2012: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 106 Papers at International Conference; 19 Earn Top Paper Awards
- May 16, 2012: National Network of Religion Sites Fills Gap for Religion News
- May 19, 2011: MU's RJI to Collaborate in New Nonprofit News Service
- Jul 30, 2010: Faculty, Students to Serve as Moderators, Discussants and Panelists for 21 Sessions at AEJMC
- Jul 22, 2009: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Students to Present 50 Scholarly Papers, Lead 21 Sessions at Upcoming Research Conference
- Aug 8, 2008: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students Present 36 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- Aug 30, 2007: Center on Religion and the Professions Debuts New Name
- Sep 8, 2006: Debra Mason Named Director of Center for Religion, the Professions and the Public