Study Shows Most 2007-2008 Graduates Work in Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations

Columbia, Mo. (Feb. 22, 2011) — Almost 90 percent of Missouri School of Journalism students who graduated in 2007-2008 are working in journalism, advertising or public relations jobs, according to a study recently completed by the School.

“That’s an extraordinary percentage that reflects the fact that Missouri graduates are highly sought in the fields for which we prepare them.”

Brian Brooks, Associate Dean

“That’s an extraordinary percentage that reflects the fact that Missouri graduates are highly sought in the fields for which we prepare them,” said Brian S. Brooks, associate dean for undergraduate studies and administration.

Brian S. Brooks
Brian S. Brooks

Brooks located 515 out of 574 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral graduates using updates provided by alumni, social media and personal contacts. Of this number, almost 90 percent were working in journalism, advertising or public relations. The remaining 10 percent were in law or graduate school, programs such as Teach for America or the Peace Corps or working in non-journalism jobs. Only two were “between jobs.” The census was conducted during fall 2010 and completed in December. Brooks was unable to locate 59 graduates.

Brooks noted the timing of the study, approximately two years after graduation, provides a realistic snapshot of career paths that the alumni plan to pursue. “By then, students have made some major decisions about what career paths they want to pursue, where they want to live and what is really important to them on both professional and personal levels,” he said.

Members of this class are working for major print, television, radio, magazine and online news organizations as well as advertising and public relations agencies, including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, ESPN, NBC and Bloomberg News. Strategic communication graduates are employed at international agencies, including Fleishman-Hillard, Saatchi, BBDO, Starcom Worldwide and Weber Shandwick. Magazine journalism alumni are at Glamour, Texas Monthly, Time and The Atlantic. Doctoral graduates are teaching in journalism and mass communication programs around the nation.

A significant number of the 2007-2008 graduates are working with online and emerging digital platforms as well as in traditional media. Geographically, the alumni are well represented throughout the United States as well as in Alaska and Hawaii – living in a total of 40 states. Internationally, Missouri journalism alumni work in 16 countries, including England, France, China, Denmark and New Zealand.

Numerically, the breakdown of graduates is as follows:

AREA PERCENTAGE Working in Journalism, Ad/PR
Convergence Journalism 89.47%
Magazine Journalism 83.33%
Print and Digital News 92.16%
Photojournalism 63.64%
Radio-TV Journalism 87.32%
Strategic Communication 90%
Master of Arts 95%
Doctor of Philosophy in Journalism 100%


“We are really proud of our students and graduates,” Brooks said. “They are doing amazing things – not only in Missouri but throughout the world.”

Updated: May 20, 2020

Related Stories

Expand All Collapse All