Award Recognizes Academic Achievements, Service and Leadership to MU
Columbia, Mo. (Feb. 8, 2012) — Eight Missouri School of Journalism seniors have been selected for Mizzou ’39, an award recognizing 39 exceptional seniors for their academic achievements, service and leadership to the University of Missouri and the community.
The Class of 2012 is the eighth annual Mizzou ’39 class, chosen during the month of February in the spirit of the service in which MU was founded in the same month on Feb. 11, 1839. The award is in honor of the founding families of MU.
From left: Jamal Andress, Molly Boland, Cole Donelson, Cidney King, Emily Moon, Alex Prestel, Kylie Tutko, Lakeisha Williams.
A committee of MU faculty and staff as well as Alumni Association Student Board members selected the honorees.
The award winners were revealed during a ceremony on the Francis Quadrangle on Monday, Feb. 6. The students also will be recognized on Saturday, Feb. 11, at the men’s basketball game versus Baylor. Following the game, students, families and faculty mentors that each senior personally selected to honor will gather for a special banquet at the Reynolds Alumni Center.
The Mizzou ’39 journalism honorees and their mentors are:
- Jamal Andress is a radio-television journalism major from Houston. Mentor: Greeley Kyle, assistant professor, Missouri School of Journalism.
- Molly Boland is a radio-television journalism major from Chesterfield, Mo. Mentor: Greeley Kyle, assistant professor, Missouri School of Journalism.
- Cole Donelson is a management and strategic communication major from Wildwood, Mo. Mentor: Dave Roberts, former director, MU Center for Leadership Development and Community Involvement.
- Cidney King is a radio-television journalism major from Country Club Hills, Ill. Mentor: Anne-Marie Foley, director, MU Office of Service Learning.
- Emily Moon is a strategic communication major from Sioux Falls, S.D. Mentor: Chancellor Brady Deaton.
- Alex Prestel is a strategic communication and graphic design major from Columbus, Ind. Mentor: Frank Corridori, assistant professor, Missouri School of Journalism.
- Kylie Tutko, is a Spanish and strategic communication major from Colorado Springs, Colo. Mentor: Ivan Reyna, assistant professor, Romance Languages and Literature.
- Lakeisha Williams is a strategic communication major from Chicago. Mentor: Farouk Aregbe, coordinator, Student Government Services.
Updated: June 5, 2020