The Award Recognizes Academic Achievement, Leadership and Service to the University of Missouri
Columbia, Mo. (April 15, 2013) — The Mizzou Alumni Association Student Board (AASB) recently named seven Missouri School of Journalism seniors to the 2013 class of Mizzou 39.
Mizzou 39 honors outstanding seniors for their academic achievements, leadership and service. Created by the AASB in 2005, the name pays tribute to the spirit of service modeled by the families that supported the founding of the University in 1839. Each year, only 39 of the more than 3,000 graduating seniors at the University of Missouri earn this distinction.
Mizzou 39 honorees must be seniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. A committee of alumni, faculty and staff review the applications and select the winners.
Additionally, each winner has chosen to recognize an outstanding faculty or staff member who has advised and guided them throughout their college career.
2013 Journalism Students Inducted into Mizzou 39
Top row, from left: Jayme Gardner, Samantha Green, Karee Hackel, Margaux Henquinet. Second row: Jaime Henry-White, Helena Kooi, Caleb Phillips.
The Missouri School of Journalism seniors selected for the 2013 Mizzou 39 list were:
- Jayme Gardner is a strategic communication major from Lawton, Mo. She has been involved in True North, Vagina Monologues, QEBH and has served as a site leader for Alternative Spring, volunteer coordinator for Tiger Pantry. Mentor: Jim Spain, vice provost for undergraduate studies.
- Samantha Green is a strategic communication major from Malden, Mo. Her activities and honors include founder of the Southeast Missouri Flag Etiquette Coalition, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Associated Students-Board of Directors, campus coordinator for ONE Campaign, Omicron Delta Kappa, National Leadership Honor Society and a recipient of an MAA scholarship. Mentor: Jim Spain, vice provost for undergraduate studies.
- Karee Hackel is a magazine journalism major from Sarasota, Fla. Her activities and honors include editorial intern for College Fashionista, Centennial Homecoming Steering Committee, Homecoming Tri -Director, Griffiths Leadership Society, Rockin’ Against Multiple Sclerosis Steering Committee and Kappa Kappa Gamma. Mentor: Carrie Bien, MAA coordinator of student programs.
- Margaux Henquinet is a dual print and digital news and Spanish major from Mount Prospect, Ill. Her activities and honors include the Columbia Missourian, Residential Life Ambassadors, Marching Mizzou, Mini Mizzou and the American Copy Editors Society. Mentor: Elizabeth Brixey, associate professor of journalism.
- Jaime Henry-White is a photojournalism and international studies major from Kansas City, Mo. Her activities and honors include Step Up! American Association for Rwandan Women volunteer and tutor, Columbia Missourian staff photographer and lead football photographer, Amnesty International chapter founder, Caring for Columbia steering committee, Kappa Alpha Theta and Omicron Delta Kappa. Mentor: Charles Davis, professor of journalism studies.
- Helena Kooi is a journalism and international studies major from Tucson. Her activities and honors include full-time volunteer for Tiger Pantry, Missouri Students Association, vice president of Omicron Delta Kappa, Kappa Delta Sorority, Greeks Advocating the Mature Management of Alcohol (GAMMA) steering committee and Homecoming Royalty Top Ten. Mentor: David Rielley, student life.
- Caleb Phillips is a strategic communication major from Savannah, Mo. His activities and honors include president of Alternative Spring Break, founder of Mizzou Unity Coalition, Centennial Homecoming Steering Committee, QEBH Secret Honor Society, Mortar Board National Honor Society. Mentor: Jim Spain, vice provost for undergraduate studies.
Updated: July 15, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Sep 16, 2019 Journalism alum honored as a 2019 Volunteer Leader from the Mizzou Alumni Association
- Apr 29, 2019 15 Journalism Students, 1 Professor Inducted into Secret Societies during Annual Tap Day
- Apr 09, 2019 Seven Strategic Communication Students Recognized as Part of the 2019 Mizzou '39 Class
- Feb 27, 2019 12 Journalism Students Selected for Mizzou '39 Honors
- Nov 11, 2014 10 Journalism Students Represented in Homecoming Royalty, Leadership
- Oct 16, 2014 Mizzou Alumni Association Honors 2 Journalism Faculty and Alumna with Faculty-Alumni Awards
- May 12, 2014 9 Missouri Journalism Students, 1 Professor Inducted into Selective Collegiate Honor Society
- May 06, 2014 Mark Twain Fellowship Sends MU Alumnus to Oxford
- May 06, 2014 14 Missouri Journalism Students Inducted into Secret Societies During Annual Tap Day
- Apr 30, 2014 More Than 65 Missouri Journalism Students Participate in Mizzou Alternative Breaks to 12 US Locations
- Mar 09, 2014 3 Missouri Journalism Students Among Those to Build a School in Nicaragua This Summer
- Feb 20, 2014 11 Missouri Journalism Students Selected for Mizzou 39