Associate Professor Fritz Cropp to Be Honored by Mizzou Alumni Association

The Annual Faculty-Alumni Award Ceremony Recognizes Outstanding Service and Achievements

By Jory Mick

Columbia, Mo. (Oct. 12, 2012) — The Mizzou Alumni Association (MAA) will honor 13 outstanding faculty and alumni Friday, Oct. 12, at its 45th annual Faculty-Alumni Awards Ceremony in the Reynolds Alumni Center. The Distinguished Service Award, the Distinguished Faculty Award and 11 Faculty-Alumni Awards will be presented.

Fritz Cropp
Fritz Cropp

Fritz Cropp, PhD ’96, an associate professor and director of International Programs at the Missouri School of Journalism, will be recognized as a faculty honoree.

MAA Faculty-Alumni Awards recognize the achievements of faculty and alumni. Assistant, associate and full professors are considered for their work as teachers and researchers and their relationships with students. Alumni are considered for their professional accomplishments and service to their communities and alma maters.

Cropp has been a guiding force in the School’s development of international opportunities for faculty and students. Approximately one-third of the School’s students study abroad in 22 cities around the world, and the majority of faculty have had at least one international experience.

As the director of the Missouri Transatlantic Center, Cropp helped establish a University of Missouri office in Brussels, Belgium. He secured more than $1.2 million of federal funding to build journalism programs in Russia and Moldova. Cropp helped send nearly 60 students to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing to work with the Olympic News Service.

Mizzou Alumni Association
Mizzou Alumni Association

“My mother taught me that one of the most important things to do is to serve others,” Cropp said. “A job teaching college students and creating programs has allowed me to help countless students while providing for my family. I strive each day to serve my alma mater, and I am grateful that my work has been appreciated.”

The Mizzou Alumni Association (MAA) strengthens MU by supporting the best interests and traditions of Missouri’s flagship university. MU is the state’s largest and oldest university and the state’s major public, land-grant research institution. The Association is the voice for nearly 270,000 alumni worldwide and keeps alumni connected to each other and their alma mater. Since 1853, MAA has influenced generations of students and alumni by preserving their traditions.

Updated: July 10, 2020