RITA REED joined the photojournalism faculty in 2001 after 20 years as a working photojournalist with Star Tribune in Minneapolis and The Gazette in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She has worked not only on local, regional and national stories, but also internationally in Haiti, Bolivia, Colombia, Taiwan, China and the countries of the former Eastern Block.
Reed holds a master’s degree in journalism from the University of Missouri and an undergraduate degree from Southwest Missouri State University. She was the 1993 recipient of the Nikon Sabbatical Grant for Documentary Photography for the completion of work on a photographic book about gay and lesbian teenagers. Reed maintains an interest in and concern for adolescents and the issues they face. She is the director of the College Photographer of the Year competition.
- Nov 11, 2015: Judging of 70th College Photographer of the Year Competition Now Live
- Sep 10, 2015: Graduate Student Earns Top Honors for Photo Story on Marriage of Lesbian Couple
- Mar 20, 2015: Rita Reed Receives National Press Photographers Association Award
- Dec 12, 2014: Missouri Students Win 13 College Photographer of the Year Awards
- Jun 24, 2014: Student Multimedia Project Honored at the Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism in Germany
- May 16, 2014: Photojournalism Professor Rita Reed Wins the 2014 O.O. McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Apr 10, 2014: Lizz Cardwell and Amy Stroth Win Dean's Award for Photojournalism II Competition in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 12, 2013: Sam Gause and Whitney Hayward Win Dean's Award for Photojournalism News/Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Mar 19, 2013: Bharat Choudhary, MA '10, Named a Top Emerging Photographer by Photo District News
- Sep 4, 2012: Five Missouri Journalism Faculty Receive Promotions, and the School Welcomes Six New Professors for the 2012-13 Academic Year
- Mar 16, 2011: Three-day Missouri Photojournalism Event to Feature a Dedication, an Educational Program and an Alumni Reunion
- Mar 10, 2010: Missouri School of Journalism Book on Arrow Rock Wins the Prestigious 2010 Osmund Overby Award
- Sep 9, 2009: New Book on St. James, Mo., Features Photographs of Missouri School of Journalism Students and Missouri Photo Workshop Participants
- Aug 27, 2008: Missouri Photojournalism Faculty and Students Document Life in Historic Arrow Rock, Mo.
- Nov 15, 2006: Judging of National College Photography Competition Now Online through Vodcasting
- Apr 4, 2006: Missouri Photojournalism Students Win Pictures of the Year International Awards