Sarah Hoffman’s Work Is One of Only 20 Global Entries Selected for Exhibition
By Alexis Hitt
Hannover, Germany (June 24, 2014) — Missouri School of Journalism graduate Sarah Hoffman, BJ ’13, was selected to exhibit her multimedia project, “Making My Daughter Stronger,” at the 4th annual Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism in Hannover, Germany June 18-22.
On hand to see Hoffman’s project was Professor Rita Reed and five students participating in the Photojournalism in Germany and Romania Summer Experience. The trip is one of the School’s Global Programs.
Hoffman’s entry was one of only 20 selected for exhibition out of nearly 200 multimedia projects submitted by young photojournalists from 37 different countries. The project was originally published in the Columbia Missourian while Hoffman was a student.
Hoffman’s project was about Sheila Burnett, a woman diagnosed with end-stage renal cell carcinoma in 2011. When Burnett learned that the cancer had spread to her liver and was no longer curable, she began to prepare her family for her death.
Hoffman, on her blog, said: “I met the Boggs/Burnett family while exploring Franklin, Missouri, for a text story on small town post office closings. I spent two years photographing the family as my focus changed over time. When I met Shelia, the mother, she had just finished cancer treatment. She had returned to work, and her life carried on as normal. The type of cancer Shelia had was likely to reoccur and when it did, the family wanted me there to document it.”
Updated: July 27, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 30, 2015 Work of 4 Photojournalism Students Featured in Time Magazine's LightBox
- Nov 17, 2015 Photojournalism Program Featured in National Photo District News Magazine
- Sep 16, 2015 Longtime Missouri Photojournalism Chair Honored
- Sep 10, 2015 Graduate Student Earns Top Honors for Photo Story on Marriage of Lesbian Couple
- Apr 13, 2015 Scripps Scholarship Recipient Tim Nwachukwu to Intern at Newsday
- Mar 20, 2015 Rita Reed Receives National Press Photographers Association Award
- Dec 22, 2014 Sophomore Lindsay Gloor Is a Finalist, Wins $1,000 in LabTV Contest
- Dec 12, 2014 Missouri Students Win 13 College Photographer of the Year Awards
- Dec 11, 2014 Researchers, Columbia Missourian Debut New Form of Online Photography
- Nov 03, 2014 Master's Student Publishes iBook Showcasing Photos, Writing of Jack and Dorothy Fields
- Sep 19, 2014 'Missouri Mules and Men' Exhibition Now on Display at the McDougall Center Gallery at the School
- Sep 12, 2014 Photojournalism Students to Participate in Upcoming Missouri Photo Workshop
- Jun 24, 2014 Student Multimedia Project Honored at the Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism in Germany
- Apr 10, 2014 Lizz Cardwell and Amy Stroth Win Dean's Award for Photojournalism II Competition in Mastering the Method Contest
- Apr 10, 2014 Zac Boesch and Mackenzie Bruce Win Dean's Award for Multimedia Enterprise in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 12, 2013 Sam Gause and Whitney Hayward Win Dean's Award for Photojournalism News/Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Jun 13, 2013 Two Missouri Journalism Students Place Second, Third in National Hearst Journalism Awards Championships
- Apr 08, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Wins First Place and $10,000 in Hearst's Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition
- Apr 04, 2013 Two Missouri School of Journalism Students Place in Top 10 of Picture Story/Series Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 21, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Place Second and Third in the Enterprise Reporting Category of the Hearst Multimedia Competition