Columbia, Mo. (April 8, 2013) — The Missouri School of Journalism won first place and $10,000 in the Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition with the highest accumulated student points from the two photo competitions.
Grant Hindsley won first place and $2,600; Samuel Gause, ninth, in the Photo I-News & Features category.
In the Photo II category, Sarah Hoffman placed seventh; Jamie Henry-White, ninth. Their work was selected from 61 entries submitted from 38 schools in the nation.
“Our students do great work in classes and on internships in order to produce meaningful photojournalism,” said David Rees, chair of the photojournalism faculty. “It’s a happy coincidence when others recognize the value of this work, and it is recognized in competitions. These are all very hard working and deserving students and we’re proud of their efforts.”
Other schools in the top 10 are Pennsylvania State University; Western Kentucky University; University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Ohio University; University of Nebraska-Lincoln; Kent State University; University of Oregon; University of Minnesota (tie); University of Florida (tie).
There are 106 universities with accredited undergraduate journalism schools eligible to participate in the Hearst Journalism Awards Program. The Journalism Awards Program added photojournalism to the competition in 1970, and is funded and administered by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation. The program awards up to $500,000 a year in scholarships, grants and stipends, and takes place under the auspices of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Updated: July 15, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 30, 2015 Work of 4 Photojournalism Students Featured in Time Magazine's LightBox
- Sep 16, 2015 Longtime Missouri Photojournalism Chair Honored
- Sep 10, 2015 Graduate Student Earns Top Honors for Photo Story on Marriage of Lesbian Couple
- Apr 13, 2015 Scripps Scholarship Recipient Tim Nwachukwu to Intern at Newsday
- Jan 09, 2015 Timothy Tai Places Third, Wins $1,500 in Hearst Photojournalism Contest
- Dec 11, 2014 Researchers, Columbia Missourian Debut New Form of Online Photography
- Jun 24, 2014 Student Multimedia Project Honored at the Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism in Germany
- Mar 11, 2014 Brendan Meyer Takes Eighth Place in Sports Writing in the National Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 06, 2014 Sam Gause Wins First Place in National Hearst Narrative Multimedia Storytelling Competition for 'Transitions in Flight' Feature
- Jan 15, 2014 Andrew Wagaman Takes Fourth in the Enterprise Reporting Competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 15, 2014 Missouri Journalism Senior Sam Gause Places Ninth in National Hearst Photojournalism Competition
- Dec 19, 2013 Missouri School of Journalism Students Are Top Winners in National Hearst TV News Competition
- Dec 17, 2013 News Professionals Select Missouri as the Top J-School in the Country
- Dec 17, 2013 Sam Gause and Megan May Win Dean's Award for Multimedia Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 21, 2013 Matt Evans and Brynne Whittaker Win the Dean's Award for TV Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 12, 2013 Sam Gause and Whitney Hayward Win Dean's Award for Photojournalism News/Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Jun 13, 2013 Two Missouri Journalism Students Place Second, Third in National Hearst Journalism Awards Championships
- Apr 05, 2013 Blake Ursch Wins Fourth Place in College Personality Profile Writing in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Apr 04, 2013 Two Missouri School of Journalism Students Place in Top 10 of Picture Story/Series Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 22, 2013 Radio-Television Journalism Senior Dan Kennedy Places in Top 10 of Hearst Broadcast News Competition
- Mar 21, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Place Second and Third in the Enterprise Reporting Category of the Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Josh Barone, BJ '12, Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Program's Enterprise Reporting Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Malcolm Koh Receives Fourth Place Award in Multimedia Competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 14, 2013 Jessica Reese Places in Top 10 of Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Dec 20, 2012 Two Missouri School of Journalism Photojournalism Seniors Win in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Dec 07, 2012 Christie Megura, BJ '12, Earns Fourth Place, Wins $1,000 Scholarship for Feature Writing in Hearst Journalism Award Program
- Jun 12, 2012 2012 Hearst National Championship Winners Named
- Feb 28, 2012 Journalism Senior Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Awards Multimedia Competition
- Feb 20, 2012 Work of Two Missouri School of Journalism Students Places in Top 10 in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 01, 2012 Photojournalism Students Place in Top Five in Hearst Journalism Awards Program