Grant Hindsley Earns First; Samuel Gause, Ninth, in the Competition
By Celia Darrough
Columbia, Mo. (Dec. 19, 2012) — Two Missouri School of Journalism photojournalism seniors received awards in the photojournalism competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program.
Grant Hindsley placed first, and Samuel Gause placed ninth.
Hindsley and Gause were selected from 102 entries nationwide in the Photo I – News & Features category.
Hindsley will receive $2,600 and will move on to the semi-final round in May. The winners of that round will compete in the program’s National Photo Journalism Championship.
This is Hindsley’s second photography award for the fall semester. He received a bronze in College Photographer of the Year‘s sports-action category. But he said he’s not letting the awards change the way he feels about pictures.
“It’s a fantastic feeling getting an accolade or two, but there is always more to learn and always more ways to perfect every frame,” he said.
Hindsley’s winning photos were a mix of personal work, photos from his internship at the Associated Press in Los Angeles and a photo from the Missouri Photo Workshop in October. He said he put the selection together under the supervision of professors David Rees, Brian Kratzer and Jackie Bell.
He said his biggest inspirations have been those around him, predominately his roommates, Hindsley and Nick Agro.
“We are always pushing each other to make better work,” he said.
The Hearst Journalism Awards Program, in its 53rd year, added photojournalism to the competition in 1970. It also includes writing, broadcast and multimedia competitions. The program awards up to $500,000 in scholarships and grants annually.
The University of Missouri is in first place in the Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition with the most accumulated student points. The final winner will be announced in April.
The photojournalism judges were Steve Gonzales, director of photography, Houston Chronicle; Sue Morrow, assistant multimedia editor, Sacramento Bee, Calif.; and Jakub Mosur, freelance photographer, San Francisco.
Updated: July 13, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 19, 2022 Two journalism students win prestigious Hearst Awards, move Missouri School of Journalism to first place in Intercollegiate Writing Competition
- Apr 21, 2022 Missouri School of Journalism students honored with prestigious Hearst Awards
- Apr 18, 2022 Missouri School of Journalism wins Hearst Intercollegiate Broadcast Competition
- Mar 03, 2022 Connor Giffin recognized for skillful feature writing in Hearst competition
- Dec 07, 2015 Feature Story in Vox Wins 5th Place in National Hearst Competition
- Nov 11, 2015 Judging of 70th College Photographer of the Year Competition Now Live
- Sep 16, 2015 Longtime Missouri Photojournalism Chair Honored
- Sep 10, 2015 Graduate Student Earns Top Honors for Photo Story on Marriage of Lesbian Couple
- Apr 13, 2015 Scripps Scholarship Recipient Tim Nwachukwu to Intern at Newsday
- Jan 09, 2015 Timothy Tai Places Third, Wins $1,500 in Hearst Photojournalism Contest
- Dec 12, 2014 Missouri Students Win 13 College Photographer of the Year Awards
- Sep 19, 2014 'Missouri Mules and Men' Exhibition Now on Display at the McDougall Center Gallery at the School
- Sep 12, 2014 Photojournalism Students to Participate in Upcoming Missouri Photo Workshop
- Jun 24, 2014 Student Multimedia Project Honored at the Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism in Germany
- Feb 06, 2014 Sam Gause Wins First Place in National Hearst Narrative Multimedia Storytelling Competition for 'Transitions in Flight' Feature
- Jan 15, 2014 Andrew Wagaman Takes Fourth in the Enterprise Reporting Competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 15, 2014 Missouri Journalism Senior Sam Gause Places Ninth in National Hearst Photojournalism Competition
- Dec 19, 2013 In-depth Features by Missouri School of Journalism Student Wins First Place in Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Dec 17, 2013 Sam Gause and Megan May Win Dean's Award for Multimedia Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 12, 2013 Sam Gause and Whitney Hayward Win Dean's Award for Photojournalism News/Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Oct 09, 2013 Missouri Photo Workshop Publishes 'Troy,' the Latest Book in Series of Small-Town Portraits
- Sep 30, 2013 2 Missouri Journalism Students Create a Major Multimedia Exhibit About Boone County Residents
- Jun 13, 2013 Two Missouri Journalism Students Place Second, Third in National Hearst Journalism Awards Championships
- Apr 08, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Wins First Place and $10,000 in Hearst's Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition
- Mar 27, 2013 Four Missouri School of Journalism Students Recognized As Talented Young Photojournalists by the Boston Globe Website
- Mar 22, 2013 Radio-Television Journalism Senior Dan Kennedy Places in Top 10 of Hearst Broadcast News Competition
- Mar 21, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Place Second and Third in the Enterprise Reporting Category of the Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Mar 19, 2013 Bharat Choudhary, MA '10, Named a Top Emerging Photographer by Photo District News
- Feb 04, 2013 Josh Barone, BJ '12, Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Program's Enterprise Reporting Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Malcolm Koh Receives Fourth Place Award in Multimedia Competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Dec 20, 2012 Two Missouri School of Journalism Photojournalism Seniors Win in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Dec 07, 2012 Christie Megura, BJ '12, Earns Fourth Place, Wins $1,000 Scholarship for Feature Writing in Hearst Journalism Award Program
- Dec 06, 2012 Three Missouri School of Journalism Students Receive College Photographer of the Year Awards
- Jun 12, 2012 2012 Hearst National Championship Winners Named
- May 14, 2012 Missouri School of Journalism Places in Top Ten in Hearst Multimedia Competition IV