The Senior Photojournalism Major Is Recognized for His Video Work
By Kiara Ealy
A total of 72 entries from 42 schools were among the competition in the first of four multimedia competitions, according to Hearst.
Photojournalism faculty member Brian Kratzer nominated Tai for his video “Beyond Black and White.” It was produced for the Columbia Missourian and examines a local church’s attempt to increase racial diversity.
“Tim Tai is simply an outstanding journalist with great intuition,” Kratzer said. “He continues to impress me with his calm and wise approach.”
The multimedia judges are: Tiffany Campbell, executive editor, Digital, WBUR 90.9, Arlington, Virginia; Kenny Irby, independent visual consultant, St. Petersburg, Florida; Kate O’Brian, president, Al Jazeera America, New York.
Founded in 1960, the Hearst Journalism Awards Program recognizes outstanding student journalists at the collegiate level. In its 56th year, annual program is offering up to $500,000 in awards to five monthly writing competitions, two photojournalism, one radio, two television and four multimedia competitions.
Updated: September 15, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jun 05, 2018 Missouri School of Journalism Earns First Place in Broadcast Radio and TV Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Apr 25, 2018 Recent Photojournalism Graduate Kayla Wolf Competing for National Hearst Award
- Apr 13, 2018 Two Recent Alumni Honored for Multimedia Coverage at Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 06, 2018 Tim Tai, BJ '16, Talks Sports Journalism
- May 26, 2017 Missouri Journalism Wins National Hearst Intercollegiate Broadcast News Competition
- May 09, 2017 2 Journalism Students Place in Top 20 in the Hearst Personality/Profile Competition
- Apr 20, 2017 School of Journalism Places First in Hearst Intercollegiate Broadcast Competition
- Mar 14, 2017 2 Journalism Students Rank in Top 4 in the National Hearst Radio Competition
- Feb 03, 2017 Stephanie Sierra Wins First Place Hearst Award for Broadcast Features
- Jan 17, 2017 Annie Rice Places in Top 10 in National Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Jul 21, 2016 Magazine Journalism Assignment Published in The Washington Post
- Mar 17, 2016 Tim Tai Accepts First Amendment Defender Award at DC Banquet
- Feb 29, 2016 Speaker Tells Students to Use Data, Build Trust When Covering Race
- Feb 25, 2016 Tim Tai Places in Top 10 in National Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Jan 22, 2016 2 Journalism Students Place in Hearst Enterprise Writing Competition
- Dec 22, 2015 Tim Tai Places Second in Hearst Photojournalism Competition, Wins $2,000
- Dec 03, 2015 Senior Tim Tai Named Inaugural Recipient of RTDNF First Amendment Defender Award
- Jun 24, 2015 Photojournalism Student Tim Tai Wins 2 Awards in National Hearst Championship
- Jan 09, 2015 Timothy Tai Places Third, Wins $1,500 in Hearst Photojournalism Contest