The Competition Drew 127 Entries from 68 Schools Nationwide
San Francisco (Dec. 22, 2015) — Tim Tai, a Missouri School of Journalism photojournalism senior, placed second in the News and Features Photojournalism Competition of the 2015-16 Hearst Journalism Awards Program. This was the first of two photo competitions held each year.
Tai submitted a portfolio of eight photos to the competition. The pictures were taken for the Columbia Missourian, the Tulsa World where he interned this summer, ZUMA Press and ESPN.com. Tai wins a $2,000 award, and the School receives a matching grant.
Tai has earned numerous awards for his photography. He is the first recipient of the 2016 First Amendment Defender Award, sponsored by the Radio Television Digital News Foundation. Tai was one of the six finalists in the 2014-15 Hearst National Photojournalism Championship and won the award for Best Single Photograph.
The winners were selected from 127 entries submitted from 68 schools nationwide. The top winners, along with the top finalists in the next photo competition and two overall highest scorers, will submit additional photos for the semi-final round of judging next April. Six finalists will be chosen from that round to compete in the program’s National Photojournalism Championship, along with writing, broadcast and multimedia finalists. The Championship will be held this June in San Francisco.
The photojournalism judges are: Sue Morrow, assistant multimedia director, Sacramento Bee, California; Kenneth Irby, Independent Visual Consultant, St. Petersburg, Florida; and Lisa Krantz, staff photographer, San Antonio Express-News in Texas.
The Journalism Awards Program also includes five writing, one radio, two television, and four multimedia competitions offering up to $500,000 in scholarships, matching grants and stipends. A total of 110-member universities of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication with accredited undergraduate journalism programs are eligible to participate in the Hearst competitions.
Photos by Timothy Tai
- Jan 10, 2018: Annie Rice Named Recipient of the C. Zoe Smith Scholarship in Photojournalism
- Jun 19, 2017: Grad Student Evan Cobb Awarded C. Zoe Smith Photojournalism Scholarship
- May 26, 2017: Missouri Journalism Wins National Hearst Intercollegiate Broadcast News Competition
- May 11, 2017: Alumna Laurie Skrivan Wins 2017 RFK Photojournalism Award
- May 9, 2017: 2 Journalism Students Place in Top 20 in the Hearst Personality/Profile Competition
- Mar 14, 2017: 2 Journalism Students Rank in Top 4 in the National Hearst Radio Competition
- Feb 3, 2017: Stephanie Sierra Wins First Place Hearst Award for Broadcast Features
- Jan 17, 2017: Annie Rice Places in Top 10 in National Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Nov 1, 2016: New Benchmark Established with Publishing of Virtual Reality Feature
- Jul 21, 2016: Magazine Journalism Assignment Published in The Washington Post
- Jul 20, 2016: Photojournalism Master's Student Wins International Award
- May 27, 2016: Adam Vogler Named Inaugural Recipient of C. Zoe Smith Photojournalism Scholarship
- Apr 26, 2016: Curiosity and Passion Leads Grant Recipient to Pursue Global Photojournalism
- Mar 17, 2016: Tim Tai Accepts First Amendment Defender Award at DC Banquet
- Feb 25, 2016: Tim Tai Places in Top 10 in National Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Feb 8, 2016: Photojournalism Senior Wins Grand Prize in MU Arts Competition
- Jan 22, 2016: 2 Journalism Students Place in Hearst Enterprise Writing Competition
- Jan 15, 2016: Rachel Wittel Places in Top 10 in Hearst Television Broadcast Features
- Dec 7, 2015: Feature Story in Vox Wins 5th Place in National Hearst Competition
- Dec 3, 2015: Senior Tim Tai Named Inaugural Recipient of RTDNF First Amendment Defender Award
- Jun 24, 2015: Photojournalism Student Tim Tai Wins 2 Awards in National Hearst Championship
- Jan 27, 2015: Radio Features by Hope Kirwan Place Tenth in National Hearst Competition
- Jan 10, 2015: Enterprise Story by Claire Boston Places Seventh in National Hearst Contest
- Jan 9, 2015: Senior Tyler Greever Places in Top 10 in Hearst TV Features Competition
- Jan 9, 2015: Timothy Tai Places Third, Wins $1,500 in Hearst Photojournalism Contest
- Dec 9, 2014: Recent Graduate Places in Top 10 in Hearst Feature Writing Competition
- Jun 6, 2014: Missouri Journalism Students Win in Hearst National Championships
- Jan 30, 2014: A Section of the Fundamentals of Multimedia Class Uses All-mobile Reporting Techniques