Grad student Annie Rice plans to use her scholarship to help fund a micro-documentary film examining loss and the stages of grief within families. Photo: John Happel.
Scholarship Will Help Graduate Student Document Families of Missing Persons
Columbia, Mo. (Jan. 10, 2018) — Photojournalism graduate student Annie Rice’s interest in people leads her to stories that haven’t been told. A $1,000 scholarship will help her to tell the stories of the families of missing people in Missouri for her master’s project. Rice is the latest recipient of the C. Zoe Smith Scholarship in Photojournalism.
Rice’s interest in the topic began at a remembrance event for missing people in Missouri when she met a woman whose daughter has been missing 14 years. Rice started to tell the story of the woman’s grief and her work with an advocacy organization for families of missing people as part of a class project. She’s taking that story further in her master’s project by telling the stories of other families.
“I plan to do a micro-documentary film to examine loss and the stages of grief within these families,” Rice said. “I want to document the experiences and tell the stories of several families in this project.”
Rice plans to start work immediately and complete the project by May 2018.
The scholarship was established in 2015 by School of Journalism professor emerita C. Zoe Smith to support the work of photojournalism master’s students in completing their degrees. The funding from the scholarship helps students cover travel and other research costs as they work on the thesis or professional project required for graduation. “Master’s students can make that final push because of this endowment,” Smith said.
Updated: October 28, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Sep 16, 2019 Two master's students named recipients of the C. Zoe Smith scholarship in photojournalism
- May 14, 2019 Associate Professor Berkley Hudson Awarded $150,000 National Endowment for Humanities Grant
- Feb 11, 2019 Visual Arts Showcase Allows Photojournalism Student to Display Her Artistic Side
- Feb 08, 2019 Photo Story: 'Standing Up' by Emily Nevils
- Feb 08, 2019 Photo Story: "Sam" by Maddie Davis
- Dec 12, 2018 Senior Makayla Looney Awarded Inaugural KMBC Larry Moore Journalism Scholarship
- Dec 11, 2018 Junior Claire Hassler Named Inaugural Recipient of $11,000 Jeanee von Essen Scholarship in International Journalism
- Aug 07, 2018 Missouri Students Teach International Teens about MU Photojournalism Program
- Jul 25, 2018 Scholarship to Help Photojournalism Graduate Student Document Burmese People Resettled in U.S.
- May 16, 2018 Special Public Exhibit Showcases Work of Graduating Photojournalism Students
- Mar 23, 2018 Pulitzer Prize-Winning Photographer to Present 'The Human Toll of Toxic Pollution'
- Mar 01, 2018 Print and Digital News Senior Hannah Black Wins $2,000 Homer L. Hall Scholarship
- Jan 10, 2018 Annie Rice Named Recipient of the C. Zoe Smith Scholarship in Photojournalism
- Aug 18, 2016 Meet New J-Students: Meredith Wright
- Jul 20, 2016 Photojournalism Master's Student Wins International Award
- May 27, 2016 Adam Vogler Named Inaugural Recipient of C. Zoe Smith Photojournalism Scholarship
- Apr 26, 2016 Curiosity and Passion Leads Grant Recipient to Pursue Global Photojournalism
- Feb 08, 2016 Photojournalism Senior Wins Grand Prize in MU Arts Competition
- Dec 22, 2015 Tim Tai Places Second in Hearst Photojournalism Competition, Wins $2,000
- Nov 30, 2015 Work of 4 Photojournalism Students Featured in Time Magazine's LightBox
- Nov 17, 2015 Photojournalism Program Featured in National Photo District News Magazine
- Oct 12, 2015 C. Zoe Smith Photojournalism Scholarship to Support Master's Students
- Dec 17, 2012 Two Missouri Journalism Students Named Winners of the $4,000 Rehab A. El-Buri Foundation Scholarship
- Dec 01, 2012 Free Screening of Students' Multimedia Documentaries to Be Held Dec. 4 at Ragtag Cinema
- Sep 10, 2012 Pulitzer Prize-Winning Exhibit Now on Display at the School
- Sep 04, 2012 School's Photojournalists Win Third Place in 'Best Use of Photography' National Competition
- Feb 08, 2012 Student Work Earns Second Place in National Press Photographers Association Quarterly Contest
- Oct 28, 2011 Students, Faculty Receive 3 Top-Three Placements in National Photo and Design Contest
- Apr 22, 2011 Photojournalism Student Wins First Student Sports Shooter Annual Portfolio Competition
- Feb 14, 2011 A Look Back in Time
- Jan 26, 2011 Journalism Senior Receives Second Place in Professional Competition
- Oct 26, 2007 Celebrated Photojournalist Delivers Two-day Seminar on Fundamentals of Web Video
- Jun 29, 2007 Missouri School of Journalism Places Second Overall in 2006-2007 Hearst Competition, Wins $22,750 in Prizes
- May 01, 2007 Journalism Students Practice Reporting from Field During Spectacular Crane Migration
- Feb 08, 2007 Woodward Joins Photojournalism Faculty at Missouri School of Journalism