Stories by Christine Jackson and Katie Kull Competed Against 114 Entries from 64 Schools
By Ashley Szatala
Columbia, Mo. (Jan. 22, 2016) — Two Missouri School of Journalism students placed in the top 20 in the enterprise writing category of the 56th annual William Randolph Hearst Foundation Journalism Awards Program.
There were 114 entries from 64 schools received in the enterprise writing competition.
Christine Jackson, a senior who focuses on arts and culture journalism, tied with three others for 14th place, and Katie Kull, a junior who emphasizes in print and digital reporting, tied for 19th.
Kull’s article, published in the Columbia Missourian on May 13, 2015, is about a couple who returned from wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to find new struggles with addiction and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Jackson wrote her story for her intermediate writing class, and Kull wrote hers for an introduction to reporting class.
Kull said the hardest part about writing the story was that it was her first long-form piece of journalism that was more than 500 words. She spent up to three months interviewing her sources for it.
Jackson had a different experience. She said the hardest part writing about Renz Prison was getting access to speak with the family who owns the prison. “It took some convincing to get them to help me tell this story,” she said.
The Hearst Journalism Awards program consists of five monthly writing competitions, two photojournalism competitions, three broadcast news competitions and four multimedia competitions. These competitions are open to undergraduate students enrolled in universities with an accredited journalism program.
Judging the writing competitions this year are: Nicole Carroll, vice president/News and Editor, The Arizona Republic; Mike Leary, senior vice president and editor, San Antonio Express-News; and David Zeeck, president and publisher, The News Tribune in Seattle.
Updated: September 14, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jun 05, 2018 Missouri School of Journalism Earns First Place in Broadcast Radio and TV Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Apr 25, 2018 Recent Photojournalism Graduate Kayla Wolf Competing for National Hearst Award
- Apr 13, 2018 Two Recent Alumni Honored for Multimedia Coverage at Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- May 26, 2017 Missouri Journalism Wins National Hearst Intercollegiate Broadcast News Competition
- May 09, 2017 2 Journalism Students Place in Top 20 in the Hearst Personality/Profile Competition
- Apr 20, 2017 School of Journalism Places First in Hearst Intercollegiate Broadcast Competition
- Mar 14, 2017 2 Journalism Students Rank in Top 4 in the National Hearst Radio Competition
- Jan 17, 2017 Annie Rice Places in Top 10 in National Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Apr 25, 2016 Graduate Student Shawn Shinneman Wins Don Romero Prize
- Apr 18, 2016 Nina Furstenau Wins Campus Writing Intensive Award
- Apr 12, 2016 11 Journalism Alumni Headline 'Words Matter' Writing Conference at the School
- Apr 05, 2016 Missouri Journalism Student Named 'Air Force Writer of the Year'
- Feb 25, 2016 Tim Tai Places in Top 10 in National Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Jan 22, 2016 2 Journalism Students Place in Hearst Enterprise Writing Competition
- Jan 15, 2016 Rachel Wittel Places in Top 10 in Hearst Television Broadcast Features
- Dec 22, 2015 Tim Tai Places Second in Hearst Photojournalism Competition, Wins $2,000
- Dec 07, 2015 Feature Story in Vox Wins 5th Place in National Hearst Competition
- Jun 24, 2015 Photojournalism Student Tim Tai Wins 2 Awards in National Hearst Championship
- Jan 27, 2015 Radio Features by Hope Kirwan Place Tenth in National Hearst Competition
- Jan 10, 2015 Enterprise Story by Claire Boston Places Seventh in National Hearst Contest
- Jan 09, 2015 Senior Tyler Greever Places in Top 10 in Hearst TV Features Competition
- Jan 09, 2015 Timothy Tai Places Third, Wins $1,500 in Hearst Photojournalism Contest
- Dec 09, 2014 Recent Graduate Places in Top 10 in Hearst Feature Writing Competition
- Jun 06, 2014 Missouri Journalism Students Win in Hearst National Championships
- May 20, 2014 Missouri Wins First Place in Hearst Broadcast News Intercollegiate Competition
- May 06, 2014 Danielle Kass Places Third, Wins $1,500 Scholarship in Breaking News Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 18, 2014 Radio-TV Journalism Students Rachel Wittel and Taylor Barth Are Top 5 Winners in the Hearst Competition
- Mar 11, 2014 Brendan Meyer Takes Eighth Place in Sports Writing in the National Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 06, 2014 Sam Gause Wins First Place in National Hearst Narrative Multimedia Storytelling Competition for 'Transitions in Flight' Feature
- Jun 22, 2005 MU Journalism Student Wins $10,000 Top Ten Scholarship
- May 13, 2005 Getsinger and Hoops Among Top 20 Winners in Hearst Spot News Writing Contest
- May 10, 2005 Journalism Senior Named Finalist in 2005 Hearst National Writing Championship
- Apr 04, 2005 Journalism Students Win First, Eighth Place in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 10, 2005 Kristen Hare Wins Sifford Prize for Journalism
- Dec 15, 2004 Missouri Broadcast News Students Win Hearst Journalism Awards
- Nov 30, 2004 Missouri Student Wins Hearst Journalism Award
- Jun 21, 2004 Four Missouri Journalism Students Win in Hearst National Championships
- Apr 26, 2004 Two Journalism Students to Participate in Hearst National Broadcast Championship
- Apr 09, 2004 J-School Grad Garners Literacy Award
- Apr 08, 2004 Graduate Student Receives Honorable Mention in National Writing Contest
- Mar 24, 2004 Two Journalism Students Win Hearst Writing Awards
- Feb 13, 2004 Journalism Student Places First in Hearst Competition