The Win Qualifies Tai for the Semi-Final Round of Judging in April
San Francisco (Jan. 9, 2015) — Missouri School of Journalism junior Timothy Tai won third place in the November photojournalism competition of the 2014-15 Hearst Journalism Awards Program. Entries in the first of two photo competitions were in the categories of news and features. Tai will receive a $1,500 award and qualifies for the semi-final round of judging in April.
Tai is a Walter Williams Scholar from St. Louis. His entry was selected from 106 entries submitted from 59 schools nationwide.
Tai submitted eight photos to the competition. Two were taken for The Maneater, where he worked during the 2013-14 school year; two were from the San Antonio Express-News in Texas, where he interned during summer 2014; two were from the Columbia Missourian, where he worked during the fall 2014 semester; and two were taken on his own time. Professors David Rees and Brian Kratzer helped him edit his entry to these eight pictures.
The photojournalism judges are: Sue Morrow, assistant multimedia director, Sacramento Bee, California; Jakub Mosur, freelance photographer, San Francisco; and Kenneth Irby, senior faculty, director of community relations and diversity programs, The Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, Florida.
The Journalism Awards Program includes five writing, one radio, two television, two photojournalism and four multimedia competitions offering up to $500,000 in scholarships, matching grants and stipends. The 108 member universities of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication with accredited undergraduate journalism programs are eligible to participate in the Hearst competitions.
Updated: July 31, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jul 20, 2016 Photojournalism Master's Student Wins International Award
- May 27, 2016 Adam Vogler Named Inaugural Recipient of C. Zoe Smith Photojournalism Scholarship
- Mar 17, 2016 Tim Tai Accepts First Amendment Defender Award at DC Banquet
- Feb 25, 2016 Tim Tai Places in Top 10 in National Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Feb 08, 2016 Photojournalism Senior Wins Grand Prize in MU Arts Competition
- Jan 22, 2016 2 Journalism Students Place in Hearst Enterprise Writing Competition
- Dec 22, 2015 Tim Tai Places Second in Hearst Photojournalism Competition, Wins $2,000
- Dec 03, 2015 Senior Tim Tai Named Inaugural Recipient of RTDNF First Amendment Defender Award
- Nov 30, 2015 Work of 4 Photojournalism Students Featured in Time Magazine's LightBox
- Nov 23, 2015 Journalists Share Experiences, Tips on How to Report on Disease
- Nov 17, 2015 Photojournalism Program Featured in National Photo District News Magazine
- Nov 11, 2015 Letter from Dean David Kurpius Shares School's Response to Campus Events
- Nov 10, 2015 Protests on Carnahan Quad Provide Opportunity for First Amendment Education
- Sep 10, 2015 Graduate Student Earns Top Honors for Photo Story on Marriage of Lesbian Couple
- Jun 24, 2015 Photojournalism Student Tim Tai Wins 2 Awards in National Hearst Championship
- Apr 13, 2015 Scripps Scholarship Recipient Tim Nwachukwu to Intern at Newsday
- Apr 01, 2015 Missouri Students and Alumni Win 8 Awards at 72nd Pictures of the Year International Competition
- Mar 13, 2015 Columbia Missourian, MU3D Provide 3D Scans of Festival
- Jan 27, 2015 Radio Features by Hope Kirwan Place Tenth in National Hearst Competition
- Dec 12, 2014 Missouri Students Win 13 College Photographer of the Year Awards
- Dec 11, 2014 Researchers, Columbia Missourian Debut New Form of Online Photography
- Nov 14, 2014 Photographs from Recent Master's Project Published by Wall Street Journal
- Nov 03, 2014 Master's Student Publishes iBook Showcasing Photos, Writing of Jack and Dorothy Fields
- Sep 12, 2014 Photojournalism Students to Participate in Upcoming Missouri Photo Workshop
- Jan 15, 2014 Missouri Journalism Senior Sam Gause Places Ninth in National Hearst Photojournalism Competition