He Earns a $1,000 Scholarship for His Story on Concussions and High School Sports
San Francisco (Jan. 15, 2014) — Recent Missouri School of Journalism student Andrew Wagaman has won fourth place in the enterprise reporting category in the 54th annual William Randolph Hearst Foundation‘s Journalism Awards Program.
His story, “Concussion worries cause tension in Columbia’s youth football community,” competed against a record 110 entries from 62 schools nationwide. Wagaman will receive a $1,000 scholarship.
Wagaman’s story ran in the Columbia Missourian on May 1, 2013. His supervising editor was Jacqui Banaszynski. Wagaman, from Schnecksville, Pa., studied print and digital news before graduating in May 2013. He is now the sports intern at The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk, Va.
Judging the writing competitions this year are: Marty Kaiser, editor and senior vice president, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel; Mike Leary, senior vice president and editor, San Antonio Express-News; and John Temple, senior fellow, John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships Program, Stanford University, Calif.
The Hearst Journalism Awards Program is conducted under the auspices of accredited schools of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication and fully funded and administered by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation. The 14 monthly competitions consist of five writing, two photojournalism, one radio, two TV and four multimedia competitions, with championship finals in all divisions. The program awards up to $500,000 in scholarships and grants annually.
Wagaman’s top-five placement is the School’s fifth Hearst competition win for the 2013-14 academic year. Two in-depth radio features by Lukas Udsteun won first place and a $10,000 scholarship in the Radio News and Features competition. Brynne Whittaker took fourth and qualified for the semi-final found, and Matt Evans placed ninth, in the Television News competition. Sam Gause won ninth place in the first photojournalism competition.
Updated: July 21, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Aug 20, 2014 Senior Michael Shaw Wins $5,000 Jim Murray Memorial Foundation Scholarship
- Jun 06, 2014 Missouri Journalism Students Win in Hearst National Championships
- May 20, 2014 Missouri Wins First Place in Hearst Broadcast News Intercollegiate Competition
- May 06, 2014 Danielle Kass Places Third, Wins $1,500 Scholarship in Breaking News Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 18, 2014 Radio-TV Journalism Students Rachel Wittel and Taylor Barth Are Top 5 Winners in the Hearst Competition
- Mar 11, 2014 Brendan Meyer Takes Eighth Place in Sports Writing in the National Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 06, 2014 Sam Gause Wins First Place in National Hearst Narrative Multimedia Storytelling Competition for 'Transitions in Flight' Feature
- Jan 15, 2014 Andrew Wagaman Takes Fourth in the Enterprise Reporting Competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 15, 2014 Missouri Journalism Senior Sam Gause Places Ninth in National Hearst Photojournalism Competition
- Dec 19, 2013 Missouri School of Journalism Students Are Top Winners in National Hearst TV News Competition
- Dec 19, 2013 In-depth Features by Missouri School of Journalism Student Wins First Place in Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Dec 17, 2013 Sam Gause and Megan May Win Dean's Award for Multimedia Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Dec 17, 2013 Abbey Sussell and Andrew Wagaman Win Dean's Award for Enterprise Reporting in Mastering the Method Contest
- Dec 10, 2013 Bridgit Bowden and Lukas Udstuen Win the Dean's Award for Radio News and Features
- Nov 21, 2013 Matt Evans and Brynne Whittaker Win the Dean's Award for TV Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 12, 2013 Sam Gause and Whitney Hayward Win Dean's Award for Photojournalism News/Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Sep 30, 2013 2 Missouri Journalism Students Create a Major Multimedia Exhibit About Boone County Residents
- Apr 08, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Wins First Place and $10,000 in Hearst's Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition
- Mar 21, 2013 Columbia Missourian Wins 11 Awards in the Associated Press Sports Editors Contest
- Feb 27, 2013 Two Missouri School of Journalism Students Participate in PBS Newshour's InaugBlog
- Nov 30, 2004 Missouri Student Wins Hearst Journalism Award
- Jun 21, 2004 Missouri Journalism Wins Hearst Overall Intercollegiate Competition
- Jun 21, 2004 Four Missouri Journalism Students Win in Hearst National Championships
- Apr 26, 2004 Two Journalism Students to Participate in Hearst National Broadcast Championship
- Feb 13, 2004 Journalism Student Places First in Hearst Competition