314 Lee Hills Hall
Missouri School of Journalism
Columbia, MO 65211-1200
JACQUI BANASZYNSKI is on the visiting faculty of The Poynter Institute. She has worked as a reporter and editor for more than 30 years, most recently as associate managing editor of the The Seattle Times, where she was in charge of special projects and staff development.
She spent 18 years as a beat and enterprise reporter, then worked as a projects editor at newspapers in the Midwest and Pacific Northwest. While at the St. Paul Pioneer Press, her series “AIDS in the Heartland” – an intimate look at the life and death of a gay farm couple – won the 1988 Pulitzer Prize in feature writing and a national SPJ Distinguished Service Award.
She was a finalist for the 1986 Pulitzer in international reporting for coverage of the Ethiopian famine, and won the national AP Sports Editors deadline writing contest with a story from the 1988 Summer Olympics.
Her work has exposed a fraudulent developer, explored the plight of Kurdish refugees in Iraq and followed a dogsled expedition across Antarctica.
Banaszynski has edited several award-winning projects, including work that won the 1997 ASNE Best Feature Writing Award and the 2003 Ernie Pyle Award for Human Interest Writing. In 2004, she edited a four-part investigative series on the failure of public defense that was a finalist for the Goldsmith Award and for the Selden Ring Award. That same year, a series Banaszynski edited on the global economy won the prestigious Leob Award for economic journalism. In 2008, she was named to the American Society of Sunday and Feature Editors Hall of Fame.
Banaszynski, a native of a Wisconsin farm village, is a 1974 graduate of Marquette University. She leads workshops for editors and reporters around the world, is a regular presenter at APME NewsTrain and the National Writers Workshops, has taught at API, the University of Kansas and the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, and has served as a Pulitzer juror.
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 19, 2013 In-depth Features by Missouri School of Journalism Student Wins First Place in Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Dec 17, 2013 Abbey Sussell and Andrew Wagaman Win Dean's Award for Enterprise Reporting in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 25, 2013 Missouri Journalism Faculty Introduce the Missouri Method to Ukrainian Reporters and Editors
- Nov 04, 2013 New York Times Columnist to Speak at Missouri School of Journalism on Nov. 6
- Aug 20, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes New Faculty Members and Announces Promotions for the 2013-14 Academic Year
- Dec 07, 2012 Christie Megura, BJ '12, Earns Fourth Place, Wins $1,000 Scholarship for Feature Writing in Hearst Journalism Award Program
- Jul 11, 2012 Missouri Journalism Students Document Lives and Dreams of Millennial Generation - Ages 16 to 35 - in the State
- Apr 18, 2012 New Website Lauds Work of Those Who Care for Mid-Missouri's Mentally Ill Population
- Apr 18, 2012 Profile Titled 'Man Gone Wild' Earns Junior Blake Ursch a Top 10 Win in the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Oct 15, 2007 Visiting Fellows Bring Expertise to the Newsroom and Classroom
- Oct 04, 2007 New Online Resources for Middle Managers Are Now Available from the Frontline Editors Project
- Mar 29, 2007 Record Number of Missouri Journalism Students Win Dow Jones Newspaper Fund Editing Internships
- Mar 26, 2007 Master's Student Wins Society of American Business Editors and Writers Contest
- Feb 06, 2007 Publishing Summit to Offer Professional and Educational Opportunities
- Dec 14, 2006 Professor Emeritus Honored as Namesake of Inaugural Awards Program
- Dec 07, 2006 Journalism Graduate Students Take Advantage of Opportunities at Recent Society of Environmental Journalists Conference
- Sep 22, 2006 New Professional Group Helps Students Hone Copy-Editing Skills
- Sep 06, 2006 Knight Center in Editing Excellence Creates New Leadership Role to Guide Journalism's Future
- May 26, 2006 Journalism Master's Student Wins The New York Times "Win a Reporting Trip to Africa" Contest
- Mar 24, 2006 Arnett a Top Winner in National Hearst Writing Competition
- Jan 24, 2006 Former Tina Hills Fellow Wins International Award
Updated: July 30, 2019