Columbia, Mo. (March 4, 2008) — Best-selling author and award-winning journalist Mike Sager heads a list of publication professionals speaking at the Missouri Association of Publications‘ Fourth Annual Publications Summit, March 6-7, at the University of Missouri‘s Memorial Union.
About 175 writers, editors, designers, graphic artists and publishers from consumer, business, educational and governmental print and electronic publications will participate.
Sager will take the podium Friday afternoon following lunch. A writer-at-large for Esquire, he has been called the “the beat poet of American journalism, that rare reporter who can make literature out of shabby reality.” A former Washington Post staff writer and Rolling Stone contributing editor, Sager’s magazine work is anthologized in the Los Angeles Times best-selling book Scary Monsters and Super Freaks: Stories of Sex, Drugs, Rock ‘N Roll and Murder, as well as the book Revenge of the Donut Boys. Deviant Behavior, his first novel, will be published this spring. Sager’s articles have inspired such Hollywood films as Boogie Nights, starring Mark Wahlberg; Wonderland, with Val Kilmer; and Veronica Guerin, featuring Cate Blanchett in the lead role.
Missouri Journalism professors and other industry professionals will lead sessions on a variety of editorial, design and publishing topics during the summit. They include:
- Jacqui Banaszynski, professor of newspaper journalism and Knight Chair in Editing
- Where Stories Are Born: Life as Fodder for News and Enterprise
- Brant Houston, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Internet and Databases for Journalists: Fast, Easy and Cheap
- Jennifer Rowe, associate professor of magazine journalism
- Grammar is Power
- Don Ranly, MAP founder and professor emeritus
- Seven C’s to Credibility: Guidelines to Establish and Maintain Authority and Integrity for Your Publications
- Mike McKean, associate professor and chair of convergence journalism
- Convergence Planning: How and When to Add Slideshows, Audio, Video and More to Your Story Mix
- Ann Leach, writer and business coach
- In the Business of Writing: Marketing Yourself Online and Off
- Sharon Reus, St. Louis public relations and advertising executive
- IDEAS With Results: Developing and Nurturing Creativity
- Daryl Moen, professor of newspaper journalism
- A Spoonful of Sugar: How to Inform and Entertain Readers
- Reuben Stern, Columbia Missourian managing editor
- Expand Your Visual Toolbox
- Angela Pierchorowicz, St. Louis magazine art director
- Great Design on a Small Budget
- Deborah Huelsbergen, MU associate professor of art
- Talking Type: Good Typographic Practices
- Panel Session: Cover Alchemy: How to Create Memorable Covers
- Danita Allen, editor of Missouri Life magazine
- John Fennell, associate professor of magazine journalism
- Jan Colbert, associate professor and chair of magazine journalism
- John Cowley, president and general manager of Cowley Distributing, Inc., a wholesale magazine distributor
- Tim Bingaman, Circulation Verification Council
- The Most Valuable Part of Your Sales Tool Box: Circulation Data and Readership Studies as a Sales Tool
- Mark McCormick, Magazine Manager Software
- How Do You Measure Up?
Registration for the Missouri Association of Publications Summit is still available at www.missouripublications.org.
Updated: August 15, 2019