Jennifer Rowe, professor and Carol J. Loomis Faculty Fellow, holds both her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the Missouri School of Journalism. She served as chair of the Magazine Journalism Faculty Group for more than six years and has taught numerous magazine classes since joining the Missouri School of Journalism in 1998. For thirteen years, she was editorial director of Vox, an award-winning city magazine produced by magazine journalism students.
In 2016 Jennifer received the O.O. McIntyre Professorship in Teaching Excellence from the School of Journalism as well as the Faculty-Alumni Award from the Mizzou Alumni Association. Previously, she had earned two of the University of Missouri’s most prestigious teaching awards: the William T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence in 2009 and the MU Provost’s Outstanding Junior Faculty Teaching Award in 2004. A faculty initiate of Golden Key and Omicron Delta Kappa honor societies in 2001, she has also been recognized by MU’s chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists and the Journalism Graduate Student Association for her work with students and has been a Mizzou ’39 faculty honoree three times in nine years.
Acting as faculty coordinator for the City and Regional Magazine Association awards program, Jennifer also works with the Society of American Travel Writers on its annual awards contest.
Jennifer has written freelance articles for Runner’s World, Elle, Real Simple, Westways and St. Louis magazines. Having been a contributing editor for Italian Cooking and Living magazine as well as the La Cucina Italiana for more than five years, she has also done freelance copyediting with clients such as Stateline, an initiative of The Pew Charitable Trusts. A speaker at conferences and workshops across the country, she has presented at the FOLIO: show in New York City and Chicago, the United States Olympic Committee Communications Workshop as well as conferences for such organizations as the American Copy Editors Society and Statewide Editors Association and many more. Jennifer has also provided training for companies including American Express Corporate Affairs and Communications and Nokia international.
Reynolds Faculty Fellowships; Carol Junge Loomis Faculty Fellow
Established in 2014 by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, the Reynolds Faculty Fellowship was established to help recruit and retain talented faculty at the Missouri School of Journalism. The Fellowship provides support for scholarship and research, in addition to salary enhancement. Donald W. Reynolds was a 1927 graduate of the Missouri School of Journalism and spent his life building the Donrey Media Group, ultimately owning more than 100 enterprises in the newspaper, radio, television, cable television and outdoor advertising industries. The Foundation is allowing up to 50 third-party donors to create individual Fellowships. The Carol Loomis Faculty Fellow is named for Carol Loomis, BJ ’51, one of the industry’s most respected financial journalists, who retired in 2014 as senior editor-at-large of Fortune magazine.
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 13, 2020 Journalism Associate Professor Amy Simons awarded a Reynolds Faculty Fellowship
- Aug 17, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism welcomes a new faculty member, announces promotions
- May 08, 2020 Associate Professor Amanda Hinnant awarded the McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Apr 21, 2020 Kate Robbins wins the 2020 Don Romero Prize for Magazine Writing
- Nov 16, 2016 Update on J-School Strategic Planning
- Nov 14, 2016 Alumni, Faculty Recognized by Mizzou Alumni Association
- Nov 08, 2016 Retired Magazine Professor Jan Colbert Dies
- Sep 07, 2016 Strategic Planning: 'Coming Together'
- Aug 17, 2016 Vox, Magazine Students Win 9 Awards in National Contest
- May 17, 2016 Jennifer Rowe Wins the O.O. McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Apr 07, 2016 5 Students to Participate in New York Times Workshop
- Apr 05, 2016 School Announces Members of New Strategic Planning Leadership Team
- Dec 09, 2014 Recent Graduate Places in Top 10 in Hearst Feature Writing Competition
- Jul 29, 2014 Cleaner, Brighter, Easier to Navigate: Vox Magazine Website Redesign Culminates 3 Years of Work
- May 12, 2014 Two Magazine Journalism Faculty Members to Retire at End of Academic Year
- Apr 18, 2014 New Vox Magazine Design Offers Fresh New Look for Columbia Readers
- Apr 04, 2014 Journalism Alumni Offer Advice to Magazine Students During New York City Visit
- Apr 03, 2014 Journalism Students Freelance for Publications Across the Country
- Jan 27, 2014 Students Publish Columbia's Little-Known Secrets in Vox Magazine
- Jul 18, 2013 Magazine Journalism Students Win 3 First-Place Magazine Journalism Awards in International Competition
- May 06, 2013 How Vox Magazine Prepares For and Covers the True/False Film Fest
- Apr 03, 2013 Magazine Journalism Students Visit Magazine Offices in New York City
- Mar 21, 2013 Missouri School of Journalism Alumni Give Insights into Long-Form Stories and Reporting
- Jul 27, 2009 Vox Wins Four Awards in National Student Magazine Contest
- Apr 08, 2009 Missouri Journalism Professor Awarded 2009 Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Feb 05, 2009 Magazine Journalism Students Produce a 40-Page "Top Doctors" Issue
- Jan 29, 2009 Upcoming Seminar Will Focus on Improving Print and Electronic Publications
- Sep 22, 2006 New Professional Group Helps Students Hone Copy-Editing Skills
- Sep 20, 2006 Journalism School Welcomes 44 Walter Williams Scholars
- Aug 29, 2006 Magazine Students Win Five Awards at AEJMC
- May 08, 2006 School to Recognize 398 Graduates at Upcoming Commencement Ceremonies
- Feb 06, 2006 Upcoming Publishing Summit to Provide Professional Development, Networking, Student Recruitment Opportunities
Updated: August 6, 2021