The Student Editors Workshop Explores Roles, Skills, Relationships in Working Newsroom
By Ashley Szatala
New York (April 7, 2016) — Five Missouri School of Journalism students will attend The New York Times‘ annual Student Editors Workshop in New York City on April 8.
The workshop allows student news editors to visit The New York Times newsroom to explore the role of newspapers in society, meet with Times editors and correspondents, and develop their journalistic skills, according to the workshop’s website. The group will also discuss the various aspects of the newspaper from the newsroom and editorial to advertising.
The five students attending the workshop are:
- Tracy Cook, senior, print and digital news, nominated by Professor Maggie Walter;
- Adrienne Donica, senior, magazine editing, nominated by Professor Jennifer Rowe;
- Jack Herrick, sophomore, nominated by Professor Marty Steffens;
- Austin Huguelet, senior, investigative journalism, nominated by Professor Jeanne Abbott;
- Daniela Sirtori-Cortina, senior, print and digital news, nominated by Professor Jeanne Abbott.
Sirtori-Cortina and Donica were selected to receive $1,000 scholarships for travel expenses.
Since the workshop’s inception in 2004, about 50 students from more than 30 universities attend the event each year. Participating schools integrate Times content into their publications.
Updated: September 24, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- May 10, 2016 Alumna Leads 'Panama Papers' Investigation, Shares Project with Students
- Apr 07, 2016 5 Students to Participate in New York Times Workshop
- Mar 31, 2016 Magazine Club Travels to New York for Annual Networking Trip
- Mar 16, 2016 New York City Internship Program to Be Offered Year-Round
- Mar 01, 2016 Missouri Students Team Up with Associated Press to Produce Virtual Reality View of the New York City Subway
- Mar 01, 2016 Applications Now Accepted to the Missouri Urban Journalism Workshop
- Feb 01, 2016 New Series of Workshops on Inclusiveness to Start in February
- Jan 27, 2016 Missouri School of Journalism Offers Nuclear Energy Workshop to Journalists
- Jan 21, 2016 Missouri Journalism Students Selected to Attend Economic Data Workshop in DC
- Sep 12, 2014 Photojournalism Students to Participate in Upcoming Missouri Photo Workshop
- Apr 04, 2014 Journalism Alumni Offer Advice to Magazine Students During New York City Visit
- Feb 20, 2014 Intensive Career Workshop Prepares Radio-TV Students for Interviews and Job Searches
- Feb 12, 2014 Students Add Interactive Mapping to Their Journalism Toolkit After Workshop Hosted by ONA Mizzou
- Feb 06, 2014 Workshops Prepare Students for Strategic Communication Career Fair