Sessions Focused on Application Strategies, Creating Resume Reels and Handling Pay Negotiation
By Caroline Murray
Columbia, Mo. (Feb. 20, 2014) — Expert faculty members provided students with tips on effective job searching at a workshop hosted by the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) on Feb. 16.
The “Get Me Hired” workshop, held at the KOMU-TV studio, was the first of its kind hosted by RTDNA. Eight faculty and staff members led sessions on application strategies, creating strong resume reels and handling pay negotiation. The faculty conducted more than 40 one-on-one critiques with students attending the workshop.
The goal of the event was to give graduating seniors a chance to meet with multiple faculty members and get advice from a variety of perspectives before heading into the job search.
Taylor Beck, president of MU’s RTDNA chapter and organizer of the workshop, said it was important to give students an opportunity to ask any questions they had about what to expect in a the hiring process before speaking with recruiters.
“We often get ‘the job hunt’ lecture in our classes, but sometimes it comes a semester before we need to start thinking about it, or maybe we didn’t take enough notes,” Beck said. “This gave students more than just a 50-minute lecture on what to expect; it also gave them a wealth of options and a great opportunity to ask questions and seek advice from their most respected faculty members.”
RTDNA is the world’s largest professional organization exclusively serving the electronic news profession. Its members include news executives, news directors, producers, reporters, digital news professionals, educators and students. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., this group represents radio and television journalists in hearings before Congressional committees and with special interest groups.
Updated: July 22, 2020
- Apr 07, 2016 5 Students to Participate in New York Times Workshop
- Mar 14, 2016 Boot Camp Helps Students Prepare for Summer Internships
- Mar 01, 2016 2 Events Prepared Strategic Communication Students for Career Fair
- Feb 03, 2016 Alumni Pay It Forward to Help Current Students
- Jan 20, 2016 Strategic Communication Career Fair to Feature a Job Hunt Q&A
- Aug 20, 2015 Jeimmie Nevalga Selected for Dori Maynard Diversity Leadership Program
- Apr 22, 2015 Top TV Recruiters Tap Missouri Journalism Students for Job Openings
- Apr 06, 2015 Alumni, Experts Help Students Prepare for Life After Graduation
- Mar 10, 2015 Event to Help Graduating Students Transition From College to Career
- Mar 05, 2015 Strategic Communication Career Fair Attracts a Record 45 Companies
- Oct 02, 2014 New Endowed Scholarship Fund Established to Honor Alumnus Larry Moore
- Apr 04, 2014 Record Number of Recruiters Look to Hire Missouri Journalism Talent
- Feb 20, 2014 Intensive Career Workshop Prepares Radio-TV Students for Interviews and Job Searches
- Feb 12, 2014 Students Add Interactive Mapping to Their Journalism Toolkit After Workshop Hosted by ONA Mizzou
- Feb 06, 2014 Workshops Prepare Students for Strategic Communication Career Fair
- Dec 17, 2013 News Professionals Select Missouri as the Top J-School in the Country
- Dec 04, 2013 Boot Camp Prepares Missouri Journalism Students to Apply for Internships
- Sep 30, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Learn Radio Skills at Nation’s No. 4 NPR-Member Station
- Sep 06, 2013 3 Bloomberg News Professionals to Help Missouri Journalism Students Understand Business Journalism