Industry Professionals Conduct Mock Interviews During the Professional Development Event
Columbia, Mo. (March 14, 2016) — More than 65 Missouri School of Journalism students participated the third annual Internship Boot Camp, a professional development event designed to help students secure internships.
The event, hosted by the School’s Career Services office, was open to all undergraduate and graduate students. The information was especially useful to sophomores and juniors eager to land their first internship.
Students learned the importance of tailoring their professional portfolio online, using LinkedIn, polishing a resume and writing to the right audience in a cover letter. Career Services Assistant Director Barbara Willis and Adjunct Professor Tanya Heath conducted the sessions.
Eight professional companies – AdKarma, the Jefferson City News Tribune, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, KMIZ-TV, KOLR-TV, KY3-TV, Sinclair Broadcast Group and Veterans United – conducted mock interviews with students.
Students interviewed with the prospective employers based on their interest areas and qualifications. After each session, recruiters evaluated students’ performance, giving them feedback on their qualifications, professionalism and communication.
“The career professionals who came in for mock interviews gave great feedback,” said sophomore Emma Diltz. “I’d never done an interview before, and I was very pleased to receive my evaluation so I can improve for future interviews.”
The Internship Boot Camp is one of many activities offered by the School’s Career Services office.
“The intention is to give students the tools they need to find great employment and in the rest of their careers,” said Willis. “I think we accomplished just that.”
Updated: September 22, 2020
- Aug 03, 2016 Insights on Internships: Classes That Helped
- Jun 22, 2016 97 Percent of 2015 Missouri Journalism Graduates Are Working or in Graduate School
- Apr 25, 2016 Junior Wins a $3,000 Scripps Howard Foundation Scholarship
- Mar 14, 2016 Boot Camp Helps Students Prepare for Summer Internships
- Mar 01, 2016 2 Events Prepared Strategic Communication Students for Career Fair
- Jan 20, 2016 Strategic Communication Career Fair to Feature a Job Hunt Q&A
- Oct 15, 2013 Upcoming Internship Boot Camp to Prepare Missouri Journalism Students for the Application Process
- Sep 23, 2013 Missouri Journalism Alumna Shares Highlights of Her Nashville Songwriting Career with Students
- May 31, 2013 New Placement Survey Shows 99 Percent of Recent Missouri Journalism Graduates Have Paid Employment or Are in Graduate School
- Apr 22, 2013 'Career Explorations in Journalism' Course Receives $40,000 Redesign Grant
- Feb 27, 2013 Students and Recruiters Connect at Annual Strategic Communication Career Fair