The Schedule Included Attending the Annual Society of American Business Editors and Writers Fall Conference
Columbia, Mo. (Oct. 18, 2012) — Jill Woerner and classmates Alonzo Soto, R.C. Balaban and Karen Miller had no idea that a two-day class trip to Wall Street, the New York Stock Exchange and other New York City-based business journalism outlets in 2003 would set the direction of their careers.
That trip was a trial run to see how immersing students in their future profession would guide their career into business journalism. Marty Steffens, the Society of American Business Editors and Writers Endowed Missouri Chair in Business and Financial Reporting, organized the tour.
Almost 10 years later, Woerner, BJ ’04, is a show producer for Fox Business; Soto, BJ ’05, an economics correspondent for Reuters America; Balaban BJ ’04, media manager of Buckingham Asset Management in St. Louis; and Miller, MA ’07, the business editor at the Reading (Pa.) Eagle.
The Wall Street tour is now an official part of Steffens’ business and economic reporting class. More than 160 journalism students have participated.
“Having the opportunity to tour Wall Street and learn from real traders, visit national media outlets and meet renowned business journalists was incredibly rewarding,” said Jenner Smith, a radio-television journalism senior.
Smith accompanied 14 classmates and five visiting Chinese journalists on the 10th annual tour Sept. 25-29. The group toured Fortune magazine, Dow Jones Newswires, Fox Business, the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg News and CNNMoney. At almost every stop, recent alumni, some of whom had taken Steffens’ tour themselves only two or three years before, greeted them.
Victoria Craig, BJ ’12, Kathryn Glass, MA ’09, and Jessica Smith, BJ ’12, hosted them at Fox Business, with a quick hello by Charlie Gasparino, MA ’89.
At Fortune magazine the students ducked in to greet Carol Loomis, BJ ’51, who was finishing her book on Warren Buffett.
Matt Jarzemsky, BJ ’08, and Chris Dieterich, MA ’10, visited with the group at Dow Jones.
At Bloomberg the group was hosted by Millie Munshi, BJ ’06, Allison Bennett, BJ ’09, Boris Korby, MA ’10, and Libby Sallaberry, BJ ’08.
Senior Justin Yang is already applying for internships at the news media outlets he visited.
“Seeing the newsrooms of major media corporations like Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal gave me the motivation needed to place myself in one of those newsrooms after graduation,” he said.
The group also attended the two-day SABEW fall conference and met well-regarded journalists such as Nik Deogun, MA ’93, senior vice president and editor-in-chief for business news for CNBC. They also visited with other business journalism notables like Andrew Ross Sorkin, Floyd Norris and Diana Henriques of The New York Times and Bethany McLean of Vanity Fair.
“I saw the passion that real-world journalists can have about their job,” said senior Antony Lee. “We met several journalists who have been covering business for several years. They were passionate about what they do and truly believed in the importance of their profession.”
In addition to visiting news media outlets, students visited the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, where traders gave them a tutorial in trading from Barclays Bank. Students saw how journalists from CNBC and other outlets cover market news live and were on hand to see the 4 p.m. EST closing bell.
While the NYSE is a staple of the visit, the combination of the SABEW conference and the tour was new this year as was the timing, said Steffens. Past trips have been after the semester’s end in May. The late September timing helps students network and be better prepared to apply for the many internships in business journalism, most of which are posted in October and November.
“Seeing the place where you might work one day better prepares you to make good decisions about where you want to intern and seek employment,” she said.
Steffens plans to continue to grow the fall tour, including adding an extra day of visiting outlets that were part of the longer spring tours. These sites included Business Insider, American Banker magazine, the New Yorker and The New York Times.
“Feedback from this year’s class is more, more, more,” said Steffens.
Expenses for the trip are offset from a bequest from Eric Schroeder, BJ ’20, that is restricted for business journalism use as well as monies from the SABEW chair endowment.
“This trip opened my eyes even further to the importance of business reporting, issues facing this area of journalism today and the number of jobs and opportunities available for younger reporters aspiring to break into this sector of the media industry,” said Allison Prang, a junior in print and digital watchdog journalism. “It was by far one of my single best journalism experiences at Mizzou and made me very proud to be a part of the Missouri School of Journalism.”
Updated: July 10, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 22, 2017 Senior Kyle LaHucik Receives $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Dec 21, 2017 Master's Student Carolina Vargas Receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Dec 20, 2017 Lily O'Neill Receives the $2,000 Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jul 31, 2017 97 Percent of 2016 Missouri Journalism Graduates Are Working or in Graduate School
- May 08, 2017 Students in New York Program Invited to Taping of 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert'
- Feb 13, 2017 Journalism Students Document Mass Sea-Turtle Nesting on Costa Rica Trip
- Dec 23, 2016 Alexander Schiffer Receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Nov 29, 2016 Professor Randy Smith Honored for Outstanding Achievements
- Nov 28, 2016 Winners of the Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting Named
- Nov 15, 2016 MU J-Student Studies in Media Capital of the World
- Aug 03, 2016 Insights on Internships: Classes That Helped
- Jul 28, 2016 Insights on Internships: 5 Questions with Urma Redmond
- Jul 22, 2016 Insights on Internships: 5 Questions with Samantha Kummerer
- Jun 29, 2016 Insight on Internships
- Jun 22, 2016 97 Percent of 2015 Missouri Journalism Graduates Are Working or in Graduate School
- May 16, 2016 Economic Journalism Students Visit St. Louis Federal Reserve
- Mar 14, 2016 Boot Camp Helps Students Prepare for Summer Internships
- Feb 03, 2016 Alumni Pay It Forward to Help Current Students
- Jan 21, 2016 Missouri Journalism Students Selected to Attend Economic Data Workshop in DC
- Oct 12, 2015 Master's Student Receives $4,000 Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 07, 2015 Kara Tabor Wins $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Business Journalism Scholarship
- Sep 11, 2015 Missouri Journalism Students Share Expertise in Internships Worldwide
- Jul 01, 2015 Warren Buffett Inspires, Impresses Missouri Business Journalism Students
- May 06, 2015 3 Journalism Advisers Nominated for MU Advising Excellence Award
- Apr 06, 2015 Alumni, Experts Help Students Prepare for Life After Graduation
- Mar 10, 2015 Event to Help Graduating Students Transition From College to Career
- Mar 05, 2015 Strategic Communication Career Fair Attracts a Record 45 Companies
- Feb 11, 2015 CNBC Introduces the Launch of the 2015 CNBC Summer Fellowship Program
- Dec 29, 2014 Undergraduate Selected for UM Entrepreneurial Scholars, Interns Program
- Aug 01, 2014 Sarah Darby Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 06, 2014 Indiana University Journalism to Honor Missouri Professor Marty Steffens
- Mar 13, 2014 Society of American Business Editors and Writers Recognizes Alumnus Sean Sposito and Senior Marie French
- Dec 03, 2013 A Global Glossary
- Oct 22, 2013 One of the Nation's Best-Known Business Journalists to Speak at the Missouri School of Journalism on Friday, Oct. 25
- Oct 22, 2013 Laura Davison Named Inaugural Recipient of Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 15, 2013 Upcoming Internship Boot Camp to Prepare Missouri Journalism Students for the Application Process
- Sep 06, 2013 3 Bloomberg News Professionals to Help Missouri Journalism Students Understand Business Journalism
- Sep 05, 2013 Missouri Journalism Senior Allison Prang Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Aug 08, 2013 Summer in the Big Apple: Internships Provides 10 Missouri Journalism Students with a Variety of News and Networking Opportunities
- May 31, 2013 New Placement Survey Shows 99 Percent of Recent Missouri Journalism Graduates Have Paid Employment or Are in Graduate School
- Apr 09, 2013 Missouri Business Journalism Students Honored with Society of American Business Editors and Writers Awards
- Apr 02, 2013 Professor Marty Steffens to Receive the President's Award from the Society of American Business Editors and Writers
- Apr 01, 2013 Strategic Communication Students Visit New York to Learn More about the Practice of Advertising and Public Relations
- Nov 05, 2012 Your Digital Multimedia Skills Are in High Demand, Say Recent Journalism Alumni to Current Students
- Oct 18, 2012 Business Journalism Trip to New York Helps Students Network and Prepare for Internships, Careers
- Sep 17, 2012 Byron Calame, BJ '61, Named Visiting Business Journalism Professor for the Fall Semester
- Sep 05, 2012 Students Explore Options for Professional Development and Networking at Fall Welcome
- Sep 26, 2007 Missouri School of Journalism Students Hone Skills at Top Media Institutions
- May 25, 2007 Three-Part Series on Media to Be Offered in New York This Summer
- Mar 26, 2007 Master's Student Wins Society of American Business Editors and Writers Contest
- Mar 02, 2007 Seven Learning, Networking Sessions in Two Days: Fast-Paced Trip to New York Inspires, Motivates Strategic Communication Students