She Is Focusing Her Convergence Journalism Studies on Emerging Media
Columbia, Mo. (Aug. 1, 2014) — Missouri School of Journalism junior Sarah Darby is the 2014 recipient of the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism. She is focusing her convergence journalism studies on emerging media and is earning a minor in entrepreneurship.
Professor Randy Smith, the Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism, made the announcement. He works closely with Marty Steffens who holds the Society of American Business Editors and Writers Endowed Chair in Business and Financial Journalism at the School.
Darby’s interest in business journalism began during a summer 2013 internship with Union Station Kansas City. She was assigned to help with social media and promotion of Maker Faire KC, a festival that celebrates technology and entrepreneurship.
Darby met many inventors and creative thinkers during the weekend event. It awakened a desire within her to have big ideas and solve problems.
“These people had an electric energy about new ideas,” she said. “They weren’t afraid to try new things, and they were solving tangible problems. I realized that I wanted to apply the innovative spirit I had seen to journalism.”
Darby returned to school in fall 2013 with a refined focus. She added an entrepreneurship minor to her coursework and took classes offered on the topic through the School and the University of Missouri Trulaske College of Business. Darby worked as a contributor to Silicon Prairie News, an online publication that covers entrepreneurship and technology in the Midwest. She was elected co-social media coordinator for ONA (Online News Association) Mizzou and served as a 2014 summer intern at Missouri Business Alert, an online business publication about the state. Darby also attended Journalism Interactive, a conference on digital media.
“I first noticed Sarah’s interest in business journalism when she was working at Silicon Prairie,” Smith said. “This summer, she has written a number of outstanding stories for Missouri Business Alert. She is multi-talented, extremely bright and hard working.”
The scholarship will help Darby fund a study abroad experience in Buenos Aires at an online cultural magazine through the School’s Global Programs office.
“Without innovation in the business models for journalism, the profession cannot evolve,” Darby said. “I want to use business journalism as a means to not only cover a topic in which I am interested, but also to apply business lessons in the newsrooms in which I work.”
The Donald W. Reynolds Foundation provides funding for the scholarship. Headquartered in Las Vegas, it is one of the largest private foundations in the U.S. and has made grants totaling more than $110 million through its National Journalism Initiative.
Updated: April 22, 2020
- Dec 22, 2017 Senior Kyle LaHucik Receives $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Dec 21, 2017 Master's Student Carolina Vargas Receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Dec 20, 2017 Lily O'Neill Receives the $2,000 Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Nov 28, 2016 Senior Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jul 12, 2016 Missouri Business Alert Celebrates 4th Anniversary with New Offerings, Readership Increases
- Jul 06, 2016 Missouri Business Alert Launches a Free E-newsletter for Entrepreneurs
- May 16, 2016 Economic Journalism Students Visit St. Louis Federal Reserve
- Mar 18, 2016 Senior Jacob Steimer Wins National Business Journalism Award
- Feb 25, 2016 Forbes Partners with School-Based Foundation to Offer Edit Fellowship to Forbes Foreign Reporter
- Jan 21, 2016 Missouri Journalism Students Selected to Attend Economic Data Workshop in DC
- Jan 14, 2016 Kauffman Foundation Awards $100,000 Grant to Missouri Business Alert
- Dec 17, 2015 Homer L. Hall Scholarship Honors High School Newspaper Adviser
- Oct 21, 2015 3 Convergence Students Attend Women's Hackathon on Immersive Journalism
- Oct 12, 2015 Master's Student Receives $4,000 Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 07, 2015 Kara Tabor Wins $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Business Journalism Scholarship
- Aug 06, 2015 Missouri Business Alert Celebrates Its 3rd Anniversary
- Jul 01, 2015 Warren Buffett Inspires, Impresses Missouri Business Journalism Students
- Oct 22, 2013 One of the Nation's Best-Known Business Journalists to Speak at the Missouri School of Journalism on Friday, Oct. 25
- Sep 06, 2013 3 Bloomberg News Professionals to Help Missouri Journalism Students Understand Business Journalism
- Sep 05, 2013 Missouri Journalism Senior Allison Prang Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Apr 09, 2013 Missouri Business Journalism Students Honored with Society of American Business Editors and Writers Awards
- Oct 18, 2012 Business Journalism Trip to New York Helps Students Network and Prepare for Internships, Careers
- May 14, 2012 Madeline O'Leary Is Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Mar 20, 2012 Photojournalism Senior Receives Society of American Business Editors and Writers Award
- Feb 03, 2012 A $10,000 Scholarship and 10 Summer Internships in Business Journalism Available to Missouri Students