Columbia, Mo. (June 12, 2009) — For the sixth consecutive year, Missouri School of Journalism students visited business news media and Wall Street landmarks during a four-day tour of New York City. Marty Steffens, the Society of American Business Editors and Writers (SABEW) chair in business and financial journalism, arranged the fast-paced trip for students in her business and economic reporting class.
The 18 students visited the New York Stock Exchange, New York Mercantile Exchange, and spent time at media outlets such as Fortune magazine, BusinessWeek, The Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Bloomberg, Institutional Investor, Fox Business, Dow Jones Newswires, The New York Times and CNN Money.
Graduate student Katy Steinmetz wrote about the trip – in particular a tour of the New York Mercantile Exchange – in an article for the Columbia Missourian.
“The history of the exchange is little known and enchanting, and watching traders do business is almost unspeakably exciting,” Steinmetz wrote. “But most captivating is how their faces remind you that business isn’t just a soulless machine run by CEOs: It’s a human endeavor to admire – and perhaps even love a little on occasion – too.”
Students also visited with School alumni while on their trip. They had dinner with Charlie Gasparino, MA ’89, an on-air editor for CNBC. At Fox Business, alumnae Katherine Buschmann Vasel, BJ ’07, and Kathryn Glass, MA ’08, shared information with the group. At Fortune, columnist Allan Sloan, and a 1978 Missouri Honor Medal for Distinguished Service in Journalism recipient, Carol Loomis, BJ ’51, hosted the students.
At Institutional Investor alumni Matt Jarzemsky and Libby Sallaberry, both BJ ’08 and staff reporters in the newsletter division, visited with the group. At Bloomberg, they met Mark Welsh, BJ ’08, who participated in last year’s tour and now works at Bloomberg TV. Other alumni included Millie Munshi, BJ ’05, and Alex Lange, BJ ’07, both of whom work on the newswire side of Bloomberg.
The students also attended an evening fundraiser sponsored by SABEW that gave them an opportunity to meet top media personalities in the financial world.
“What a wonderful opportunity of great things for us to see, explore and experience,” said undergraduate student Christy Millweard. “I know that this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and nothing will ever compare.”
Updated: May 4, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jun 22, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism senior Kaitlyn Hoevelmann receives Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 19, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism student Emmy Lucas receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Jun 04, 2020 MBA reporters rise to challenge and get creative when it comes to producing content, connecting with audiences
- Apr 28, 2020 Journalism and business students gain hands-on experience participating in the 11th annual Entrepreneurship and Media of the Future Symposium competition
- Oct 25, 2019 Ethan Brown Receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 14, 2019 Master’s Student Ralph Chapoco receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 01, 2019 Journalism senior Clare Roth receives Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- May 09, 2019 Grad Students Tasked with Solving Associated Press Challenge Win Business-Journalism Competition
- Aug 01, 2014 Sarah Darby Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 06, 2014 Indiana University Journalism to Honor Missouri Professor Marty Steffens
- Mar 13, 2014 Society of American Business Editors and Writers Recognizes Alumnus Sean Sposito and Senior Marie French
- Oct 22, 2013 One of the Nation's Best-Known Business Journalists to Speak at the Missouri School of Journalism on Friday, Oct. 25
- Oct 22, 2013 Laura Davison Named Inaugural Recipient of Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Sep 06, 2013 3 Bloomberg News Professionals to Help Missouri Journalism Students Understand Business Journalism
- Sep 05, 2013 Missouri Journalism Senior Allison Prang Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Apr 09, 2013 Missouri Business Journalism Students Honored with Society of American Business Editors and Writers Awards
- Apr 02, 2013 Professor Marty Steffens to Receive the President's Award from the Society of American Business Editors and Writers