Columbia, Mo. (Sept. 5, 2013) — Allison Prang, a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, has been awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism.
Prang said that her interest in business journalism began with her internship on the business news desk at the Kansas City Star in 2012.
“This one provided a fantastic introduction to business reporting for a metropolitan area,” Prang said, noting that she was open to any type of newspaper internship at the time.
This internship and relevant class work, combined with the timeliness of all of the news surrounding the financial crisis, furthered her interest in learning more about business reporting. Prang enrolled in a business journalism class taught by Professor Marty Steffens and participated in the hands-on operation at the Missouri Business Alert, supervised by Professor Randall Smith. Steffens is the Society of American Business Editors and Writers Endowed Chair in Business and Financial Journalism; Smith is the Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism.
Prang hopes to have a investigative reporting career in Washington, D.C., and is currently interning at The Wall Street Journal there. She would like to return to Washington next summer to add to her political reporting experience.
“Allison has done an outstanding job in classes, and her strong interest in business journalism makes her exactly the kind of student that the scholarship is intended to encourage,” he said. Smith developed the scholarship program.
The Donald W. Reynolds Foundation provides funding for the scholarship. Headquartered in Las Vegas, it is one of the largest private foundations in the U.S. and has made grants totaling more than $110 million through its National Journalism Initiative.
“The Donald W. Reynolds Foundation helped me afford my experience at not only Mizzou but also my experience interning in Washington, D.C., this semester,” Prang said. “Paying for college has definitely been a challenge, and I am so grateful to the Foundation and to Randy Smith for the scholarship. It has really helped me make this work.”
Updated: July 20, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Oct 25, 2019 Ethan Brown Receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 01, 2019 Journalism senior Clare Roth receives Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 03, 2019 Senior, Recent J-School Graduate to Receive Hands-On Brand Journalism Experience via Kauffman Fellowships
- Dec 22, 2017 Senior Kyle LaHucik Receives $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Dec 21, 2017 Master's Student Carolina Vargas Receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Dec 20, 2017 Lily O'Neill Receives the $2,000 Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Nov 29, 2016 Professor Randy Smith Honored for Outstanding Achievements
- Jul 12, 2016 Missouri Business Alert Celebrates 4th Anniversary with New Offerings, Readership Increases
- May 16, 2016 Economic Journalism Students Visit St. Louis Federal Reserve
- Apr 15, 2016 Randy Smith Receives President's Award for Cross-Cultural Engagement
- Mar 18, 2016 Senior Jacob Steimer Wins National Business Journalism Award
- Jan 21, 2016 Missouri Journalism Students Selected to Attend Economic Data Workshop in DC
- Dec 29, 2014 Undergraduate Selected for UM Entrepreneurial Scholars, Interns Program
- Sep 19, 2014 $10 Million Gift to Fund Faculty Fellowships at the School of Journalism
- Aug 01, 2014 Sarah Darby Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Mar 13, 2014 Society of American Business Editors and Writers Recognizes Alumnus Sean Sposito and Senior Marie French
- Oct 09, 2013 Missouri School of Journalism Students Visit Leading Washington, D.C., Newsrooms
- Sep 05, 2013 Missouri Journalism Senior Allison Prang Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 27, 2013 Professor Marty Steffens Named to North American Committee Board of the International Press Institute
- Apr 09, 2013 Missouri Business Journalism Students Honored with Society of American Business Editors and Writers Awards
- Apr 02, 2013 Professor Marty Steffens to Receive the President's Award from the Society of American Business Editors and Writers