Scholarship winner Lily O’Neill is currently a junior studying journalism with an emphasis in magazine writing and a minor in Spanish.
Magazine Writing Junior Plans to Study Abroad, Intern at Missouri Business Alert
Columbia, Mo. (Dec. 20, 2017) — Missouri School of Journalism junior Lily O’Neill is the 2017 recipient of the $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism. She is studying journalism with an emphasis in magazine writing and a minor in Spanish.
“My goal is to delve into a subject matter, present it in an understandable light, and create a conversation about it,” said O’Neill. “Sacha Pfeiffer of the Boston Globe contributed to my passion for journalism with her investigative work. I’m grateful to my parents, both of whom have Missouri Journalism degrees, for their constant support.”
Lily was a business journalism intern at The Kansas City Star last summer. This spring, she will be in the Missouri School of Journalism’s study abroad program in Barcelona, where she’ll get to practice her Spanish, attend class and improve her reporting skills.
“My internship [at The Kansas City Star] provided a great introduction into the field of business journalism, and the staff encouraged and mentored me to continue my pursuit,” O’Neill said. “I will expand my work in business journalism this summer as an intern for Missouri Business Alert.”
Professor Randy Smith, the Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism, made the announcement. Also on the selection committee are Mike Waller, former editor at The Kansas City Star and Hope Heaster, who is the daughter of Jerry Heaster.
Jerry Heaster was an award-winning business editor and columnist at The Kansas City Star. The Jerry Heaster Scholarship at the Missouri School of Journalism was created after his death in 2012 by his colleagues, friends and family to encourage students to enter business journalism.
Updated: October 28, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jun 22, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism senior Kaitlyn Hoevelmann receives Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 19, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism student Emmy Lucas receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Jun 18, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism senior Kelly Kullman receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 25, 2019 Ethan Brown Receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 01, 2019 Journalism senior Clare Roth receives Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 03, 2019 Senior, Recent J-School Graduate to Receive Hands-On Brand Journalism Experience via Kauffman Fellowships
- May 10, 2019 Missouri Business Alert Expands to Kansas City, Adds More Hands-On Learning for Journalism Students
- May 09, 2019 Grad Students Tasked with Solving Associated Press Challenge Win Business-Journalism Competition
- Dec 12, 2018 Senior Makayla Looney Awarded Inaugural KMBC Larry Moore Journalism Scholarship
- Dec 11, 2018 Junior Claire Hassler Named Inaugural Recipient of $11,000 Jeanee von Essen Scholarship in International Journalism
- Jul 26, 2018 Business Journalism Chair Honored for His Commitment to International Education
- May 15, 2018 Kauffman Foundation Grant Will Provide More Business Journalism Learning Opportunities for University of Missouri Students
- Mar 01, 2018 Print and Digital News Senior Hannah Black Wins $2,000 Homer L. Hall Scholarship
- Dec 22, 2017 Senior Kyle LaHucik Receives $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Dec 21, 2017 Master's Student Carolina Vargas Receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Dec 20, 2017 Lily O'Neill Receives the $2,000 Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Sep 06, 2013 3 Bloomberg News Professionals to Help Missouri Journalism Students Understand Business Journalism
- Sep 05, 2013 Missouri Journalism Senior Allison Prang Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Apr 09, 2013 Missouri Business Journalism Students Honored with Society of American Business Editors and Writers Awards