Senior Carolyn Heger has been named as the 2016 recipient of the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism.
Carolyn Heger Is Working Toward Undergraduate Degrees in Business Journalism and Finance
Columbia, Mo. (Nov. 28, 2016) — Missouri School of Journalism senior Carolyn Heger is the 2016 recipient of the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism. She is working towards two undergraduate degrees: business journalism and finance.
Heger first fell in love with business journalism at age seven while watching her father appear on CNBC to discuss stocks. Her passion grew in her junior and senior year in high school when she first began as an intern for the St. Louis Business Journal.
“My experience at this newspaper led me to recognize that I am interested in following a diverse array of companies and to develop the capability to become well versed in many types of businesses,” Heger said.
Heger said the scholarship will help her work toward her dream of becoming an editor for a business journal or a national business news outlet.
“Business journalists have been entrusted with the important task of educating experienced businesspeople and novices alike,” she said.
Professor Randy Smith, the Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism, made the announcement.
The Donald W. Reynolds Foundation provides funding for the scholarship. Headquartered in Las Vegas, it is one of the largest private foundations in the U.S. and has made grants totaling more than $110 million through its National Journalism Initiative.
Updated: October 9, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 22, 2017 Senior Kyle LaHucik Receives $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Dec 21, 2017 Master's Student Carolina Vargas Receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Dec 20, 2017 Lily O'Neill Receives the $2,000 Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Mar 17, 2017 Master's Student Wins Prestigious Scholarship for Cochlear Implant Users
- Jan 03, 2017 Kristen Reesor Wins Radio Television Digital News Foundation Scholarship
- Dec 23, 2016 Alexander Schiffer Receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Nov 29, 2016 Professor Randy Smith Honored for Outstanding Achievements
- Jul 12, 2016 Missouri Business Alert Celebrates 4th Anniversary with New Offerings, Readership Increases
- Jul 06, 2016 Missouri Business Alert Launches a Free E-newsletter for Entrepreneurs
- Mar 18, 2016 Senior Jacob Steimer Wins National Business Journalism Award
- Jan 14, 2016 Kauffman Foundation Awards $100,000 Grant to Missouri Business Alert
- Sep 17, 2012 Byron Calame, BJ '61, Named Visiting Business Journalism Professor for the Fall Semester
- May 14, 2012 Madeline O'Leary Is Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Feb 03, 2012 A $10,000 Scholarship and 10 Summer Internships in Business Journalism Available to Missouri Students