Students Urged to Apply by Deadlines
Columbia, Mo. (Feb. 3, 2012) — Two outstanding scholarship and internship opportunities are available to Missouri School of Journalism students.
One incoming junior will be selected for the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Business Journalism Scholarship to used during the 2012-2013 academic year. The recipient may reapply for a similar scholarship during the senior year. The application deadline is March 1.
This is the second year for the scholarship to be offered. The inaugural recipient is junior Alexandra Eria Jones, a radio-television journalism major and business minor from Naperville, Ill. She interned at WFLD Fox Chicago during the summer of 2011 and is a member of the National Association of Black Journalists.
In addition, 10 paid summer internships at both traditional and non-traditional media companies are available. The students will work with experienced business journalists and have a chance to fine-tune their skills in a variety of reporting and editing techniques. The application deadline for the internships is Feb. 15. The internships are open to all Missouri journalism students. A business journalism emphasis is not required.
Internship sites include the Los Angeles Business Journal, The Seattle Times, Harvest Public Media in Kansas City, Mo., Tribe Media in Los Angeles, the Wichita (Kan.) Eagle, Ovative Group in Minneapolis, The Kansas City (Mo.) Star, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Chicago Sun-Times and the Charlotte (N.C.) Observer.
Randall Smith, the Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism at the school, developed the scholarship and internships programs.
“Journalists play a key role in helping citizens understand complex business issues,” Smith said. “It’s critical that we prepare our students to investigate and report on corporate and government finances.”
The Donald W. Reynolds Foundation will provide funding for both programs. Headquartered in Las Vegas, Nev., it is one of the largest private foundations in the U.S. and has made grants totaling more than $110 million through its National Journalism Initiative.
Students interested in applying should contact Sheila Holder for the scholarship and Janet Jensen for the internships.
Updated: June 5, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jun 22, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism senior Kaitlyn Hoevelmann receives Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 19, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism student Emmy Lucas receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Jun 18, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism senior Kelly Kullman receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Jun 04, 2020 MBA reporters rise to challenge and get creative when it comes to producing content, connecting with audiences
- May 19, 2020 Five Missouri School of Journalism students named to Knight Nonprofit News Internship program for summer 2020
- Apr 28, 2020 School of Journalism students, AAF receive advice on finding jobs and internships in the age of COVID-19
- Nov 28, 2016 Senior Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Nov 15, 2016 MU J-Student Studies in Media Capital of the World
- Aug 18, 2016 Meet New J-Students: Meredith Wright
- Aug 03, 2016 Insights on Internships: Classes That Helped
- Jul 28, 2016 Insights on Internships: 5 Questions with Urma Redmond
- Jul 22, 2016 Insights on Internships: 5 Questions with Samantha Kummerer
- Jul 21, 2016 Meet New J-Students: Jasmine-Kay Johnson
- Jun 29, 2016 Insight on Internships
- Apr 15, 2016 Randy Smith Receives President's Award for Cross-Cultural Engagement
- Dec 04, 2013 Boot Camp Prepares Missouri Journalism Students to Apply for Internships
- Oct 15, 2013 Upcoming Internship Boot Camp to Prepare Missouri Journalism Students for the Application Process
- May 31, 2013 New Placement Survey Shows 99 Percent of Recent Missouri Journalism Graduates Have Paid Employment or Are in Graduate School
- Dec 17, 2012 Two Missouri Journalism Students Named Winners of the $4,000 Rehab A. El-Buri Foundation Scholarship
- Aug 23, 2012 Sports Writing Senior Wins $5,000 Jim Murray Memorial Foundation Scholarship
- May 17, 2012 Missouri School of Journalism to Test New Digital Newsroom This Summer
- May 14, 2012 Madeline O'Leary Is Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Mar 20, 2012 Photojournalism Senior Receives Society of American Business Editors and Writers Award
- Feb 03, 2012 A $10,000 Scholarship and 10 Summer Internships in Business Journalism Available to Missouri Students
- Nov 13, 2006 Summer Internship Contest Recognizes Thirteen for Outstanding Journalism Work
- Oct 16, 2006 Missouri Journalism Student Wins Outstanding Intern Award
- Oct 16, 2006 Journalism Student Named Winner in National Hispanic Essay Contest
- Aug 31, 2006 Senior Wins $2,000 C.W. Gusewelle Journalism Scholarship