Magazine journalism senior Kyle LaHucik is the 2017 recipient of the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism.
LaHucik Will Spend Spring Term Reporting on European Business, Trade and the EU at MLex in Brussels
Columbia, Mo. (Dec. 22, 2017) — Missouri School of Journalism senior Kyle LaHucik is the 2017 recipient of the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism. LaHucik is pursuing an undergraduate degree in magazine journalism with minors in architecture and English. Professor Randy Smith, the Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism, made the announcement.
“Within the last year, I’ve become intrigued by the business world,” said LaHucik. “This past summer, I had the pleasure of reporting on local businesses at a Chicago-based media company, where I learned the importance of covering community-based organizations.”
LaHucik’s interest led him to take a business journalism class in Fall 2017. In spring 2018, he will report on European business, trade and the EU as an intern at MLex, through the Missouri School of Journalism’s Brussels program.
“Growing up, I wanted to be an architect because I loved the architecture of Chicago, the city my parents worked in,” said LaHucik. “I believed architecture was the foundation to our lives. I’m on a different path now. Like architecture, businesses are some of the core structures in society.”
LaHucik recently was offered a summer 2018 internship at Bloomberg BNA, which specializes in coverage of government’s impact on business. He will be working out of BNA’s offices in Washington, D.C.
The Donald W. Reynolds Foundation provides funding for the scholarship. Headquartered in Las Vegas, it is one of the largest private foundations in the U.S. and has made grants totaling more than $110 million through its National Journalism Initiative.
Updated: October 28, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 12, 2018 Senior Makayla Looney Awarded Inaugural KMBC Larry Moore Journalism Scholarship
- Dec 11, 2018 Junior Claire Hassler Named Inaugural Recipient of $11,000 Jeanee von Essen Scholarship in International Journalism
- Jul 26, 2018 Business Journalism Chair Honored for His Commitment to International Education
- May 15, 2018 Kauffman Foundation Grant Will Provide More Business Journalism Learning Opportunities for University of Missouri Students
- Mar 01, 2018 Print and Digital News Senior Hannah Black Wins $2,000 Homer L. Hall Scholarship
- Dec 22, 2017 Senior Kyle LaHucik Receives $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Dec 21, 2017 Master's Student Carolina Vargas Receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Dec 20, 2017 Lily O'Neill Receives the $2,000 Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Oct 22, 2013 One of the Nation's Best-Known Business Journalists to Speak at the Missouri School of Journalism on Friday, Oct. 25
- Sep 06, 2013 3 Bloomberg News Professionals to Help Missouri Journalism Students Understand Business Journalism
- Sep 05, 2013 Missouri Journalism Senior Allison Prang Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Apr 09, 2013 Missouri Business Journalism Students Honored with Society of American Business Editors and Writers Awards
- Oct 18, 2012 Business Journalism Trip to New York Helps Students Network and Prepare for Internships, Careers
- May 14, 2012 Madeline O'Leary Is Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Feb 03, 2012 A $10,000 Scholarship and 10 Summer Internships in Business Journalism Available to Missouri Students