RANDALL SMITH, BJ ’74, is the first Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism. He joined the Missouri School of Journalism in August 2009. His 30-year career at The Kansas City Star began in 1979, and he has worked on both the news and business sides. Smith started as a copy editor, rising to the positions of business editor and deputy managing editor, and most recently, to director of strategic development.
Smith is a former president of the Society of American Business Writers and Editors and a recipient of the organization’s Distinguished Achievement Award. He played a major role in conceiving the idea and raising the money for the School’s SABEW endowed chair.
He is the vice chair and first non-family member of the board of the Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships. The author of the book “A Kenyan Journey,” Smith has lectured to classes in China, Africa and the U.S. Throughout his career Smith has been involved with helping promote young minority journalists, and he played a key role in getting Knight Ridder to adopt the Rotating Internship Program, which placed more than 250 journalists into newspapers during a 20-year run.
As an editor Smith has worked with award-winning newsroom teams that have earned the profession’s top awards and honors. One won a Pulitzer Prize in 1982 for coverage of the Kansas City Hyatt skywalks disaster in July 1981. Other staff recognitions include a Sigma Delta Chi award, an Eppy award, a Philip Meyer Award, 12 Missouri Press Association Gold Cups and a Nancy Dickerson Whitehead Award.
Smith received the Mizzou Alumni Association’s highest recognition, the Faculty-Alumni Award, in 2005. In 2016, Smith won the President’s Cross-Culture Engagement Award and the Provost’s Award for Leadership in International Education.
Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism
The Donald W. Reynolds Foundation awarded the Missouri School of Journalism a $2 million grant to establish the Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism in 2008. The chair is the second in business journalism at the School, joining the Society of American Business Editors and Writers Chair, established in 2000. The Reynolds Chair works with other Missouri faculty to increase undergraduate and master’s course offerings at the School. The chair also works with journalism professionals and Reynolds Business Journalism Chairs at other universities to offer advanced training in business and financial journalism for working journalists. Working with other faculty and staff of Missouri’s Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute, the Reynolds Chair helps develop, test and write about new digital models of journalism and advertising.
- Mar 8, 2018: 16 Journalism Students Selected for 'Mizzou '39' Honors
- Dec 22, 2017: Senior Kyle LaHucik Receives $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Dec 21, 2017: Master's Student Carolina Vargas Receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Dec 20, 2017: Lily O'Neill Receives the $2,000 Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Mar 27, 2017: Professional Journalists Pair Up Students in Missouri and India for Reporting Project
- Dec 23, 2016: Alexander Schiffer Receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Dec 14, 2016: DC Philanthropists Fund Missouri Journalism Fellowship for Indian Reporter
- Nov 29, 2016: Professor Randy Smith Honored for Outstanding Achievements
- Nov 28, 2016: Winners of the Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting Named
- Nov 28, 2016: Senior Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Nov 2, 2016: Alumna to Share Inner Workings of Investigative Journalists
- Sep 22, 2016: Alfred Friendly Fellowship Program Formalizes Partnership with School
- Aug 30, 2016: Missouri Students Document Life in South Africa
- Jul 12, 2016: Missouri Business Alert Celebrates 4th Anniversary with New Offerings, Readership Increases
- Jul 6, 2016: Missouri Business Alert Launches a Free E-newsletter for Entrepreneurs
- May 20, 2016: Foreign Press Association Awards Aleksandr Gorbachev $10,000 First Place Scholarship
- Apr 15, 2016: Randy Smith Receives President's Award for Cross-Cultural Engagement
- Apr 7, 2016: Asian-American Journalists Association Students Interview Lead Investigative Editor
- Mar 21, 2016: Fellowship Targets New Countries, Forms New Partnerships
- Mar 18, 2016: Senior Jacob Steimer Wins National Business Journalism Award
- Jan 14, 2016: Kauffman Foundation Awards $100,000 Grant to Missouri Business Alert
- Oct 12, 2015: Master's Student Receives $4,000 Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 7, 2015: Kara Tabor Wins $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Business Journalism Scholarship
- Aug 6, 2015: Missouri Business Alert Celebrates Its 3rd Anniversary
- Jul 1, 2015: Warren Buffett Inspires, Impresses Missouri Business Journalism Students
- Jun 29, 2015: 8 Students Document Living History During South Africa Reporting Trip
- Aug 1, 2014: Sarah Darby Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jul 23, 2014: 18 Freshman Interest Groups to Focus on Journalism for Fall 2014
- Nov 8, 2013: New York Times Media Reporter Brian Stelter Discusses Digital Identity with Missouri Journalism Students
- Oct 9, 2013: Missouri School of Journalism Students Visit Leading Washington, D.C., Newsrooms
- Sep 6, 2013: 3 Bloomberg News Professionals to Help Missouri Journalism Students Understand Business Journalism
- Sep 5, 2013: Missouri Journalism Senior Allison Prang Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Sep 17, 2012: Byron Calame, BJ '61, Named Visiting Business Journalism Professor for the Fall Semester
- May 17, 2012: Missouri School of Journalism to Test New Digital Newsroom This Summer
- May 14, 2012: Madeline O'Leary Is Awarded the $10,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Feb 3, 2012: A $10,000 Scholarship and 10 Summer Internships in Business Journalism Available to Missouri Students
- Feb 17, 2011: School Faculty to Help Lead Seven New Mizzou Advantage Proposals
- Dec 15, 2010: New Business Journalism Internship and Scholarship Programs Announced
- Apr 5, 2010: New Business Models for Journalism Might Include an Innovative Newsroom Café and a Perfect Calendar
- Aug 17, 2009: Award-Winning Journalist Randy Smith Named First Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism