The Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting Helps Tatiana Darie Travel Abroad, Pay Tuition
Columbia, Mo. (Oct. 12, 2015) — Tatiana Darie is the 2015 recipient of the Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting. Darie is a Missouri School of Journalism master’s student focusing her studies on reporting for television, radio and digital communication.
So far, the $4,000 scholarship has allowed Darie to travel abroad over the summer to South Africa, and it is helping pay her tuition at University of Missouri.
Carol Loomis, BJ ’51, started the annual scholarship at MU in 2013 for graduate students interested in pursuing a career in business journalism in honor of her 60 years of work at Fortune magazine. Loomis retired as Fortune’s longest-tenured employee in 2014 as senior editor-at-large. She received the Missouri Honor Medal for Distinguished Service in Journalism in 1978.
Smith arranged for Darie to meet with Loomis for lunch in New York this summer to share her work at Bloomberg.
“I think she’s an aspiration to any young journalist who wants to pursue business reporting,” Darie said of Loomis. “I’ve learned from her the art of writing about business. It was an honor to meet her.”
Darie’s passion for business first started when she discovered the world of investments and started reading books about Warren Buffett. Loomis is one of the few journalists to befriend Buffett and write about him with deep, personal insight. Reading her books on Buffett is where Darie first became acquainted with Loomis.
She credits Missouri Business Alert as the place where she is able to practice the art of business journalism while in School.
Missouri Business Alert, an online digital business news startup staffed by Missouri School of Journalism students, celebrated its three-year anniversary in July. Smith is the founder and financial backer of the publication.
Updated: September 10, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 23, 2016 Alexander Schiffer Receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Nov 28, 2016 Winners of the Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting Named
- Nov 28, 2016 Senior Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Nov 28, 2016 University of Missouri Selected to Offer Prestigious Stamps Scholars Program
- Jul 12, 2016 Missouri Business Alert Celebrates 4th Anniversary with New Offerings, Readership Increases
- May 16, 2016 Economic Journalism Students Visit St. Louis Federal Reserve
- Mar 18, 2016 Senior Jacob Steimer Wins National Business Journalism Award
- Feb 25, 2016 Forbes Partners with School-Based Foundation to Offer Edit Fellowship to Forbes Foreign Reporter
- Jan 21, 2016 Missouri Journalism Students Selected to Attend Economic Data Workshop in DC
- Jan 14, 2016 Kauffman Foundation Awards $100,000 Grant to Missouri Business Alert
- Aug 01, 2014 Sarah Darby Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 23, 2014 2014 Recipients of the Missouri Honor Medal for Distinguished Service in Journalism Announced
- Jun 06, 2014 Indiana University Journalism to Honor Missouri Professor Marty Steffens
- May 12, 2014 Professor Marty Steffens Elected to Executive Board of International Press Institute