He Will Hold a Business Journalism Internship at The Washington Post in Summer 2017
Columbia, Mo. (Dec. 23, 2016) — Missouri School of Journalism senior Alexander Schiffer is the first recipient of the $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism. He is pursuing his bachelor’s degree in journalism with an emphasis in print and digital news and a minor in business.
Business journalism, Schiffer said, allows him to combine his love for math and journalism. He cites the coverage of Watergate by Washington Post investigative reporters Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward of The Washington Post, along with the encouragement of his parents, for pursuing this career focus.
“I got into journalism in order to keep the public informed on what’s going on in the world,” Schiffer said. “Being a business journalist gives me the opportunity to report on things that directly affect the public and help keep the public informed on where their money is going or where it should be going.”
Schiffer interned at the Los Angeles Times in 2016 and has an internship lined up at The Washington Post for summer 2017. Both of these internships are underwritten by the Donald W. Reynolds Chair in Business Journalism at the School.
“I am proud to award the first Jerry Heaster scholarship to Alex,” said Professor Randy Smith, the Donald W. Reynolds Endowed Chair in Business Journalism. On the committee to determine the award were Hope Heaster, who is Jerry’s daughter, and Mike Waller, who is the former editor of The Kansas City Star.
Jerry Heaster was an award-winning business editor and columnist at The Star. The Jerry Heaster scholarship was created after his death in 2012 by his colleagues, friends and family to encourage students to enter business journalism.
Updated: October 9, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jun 22, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism senior Kaitlyn Hoevelmann receives Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Jun 19, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism student Emmy Lucas receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Jun 04, 2020 MBA reporters rise to challenge and get creative when it comes to producing content, connecting with audiences
- Apr 28, 2020 Journalism and business students gain hands-on experience participating in the 11th annual Entrepreneurship and Media of the Future Symposium competition
- Oct 25, 2019 Ethan Brown Receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Oct 01, 2019 Journalism senior Clare Roth receives Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- May 10, 2019 Missouri Business Alert Expands to Kansas City, Adds More Hands-On Learning for Journalism Students
- Dec 22, 2017 Senior Kyle LaHucik Receives $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Dec 21, 2017 Master's Student Carolina Vargas Receives $5,000 Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting
- Dec 20, 2017 Lily O'Neill Receives the $2,000 Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Mar 17, 2017 Master's Student Wins Prestigious Scholarship for Cochlear Implant Users
- Jan 03, 2017 Kristen Reesor Wins Radio Television Digital News Foundation Scholarship
- Dec 23, 2016 Alexander Schiffer Receives $2,000 Jerry Heaster Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Nov 28, 2016 Winners of the Carol Loomis Scholarship for Business Reporting Named
- Nov 28, 2016 Emily O'Connor Awarded $2,000 Homer L. Hall Scholarship
- Nov 28, 2016 Senior Receives the $5,000 Donald W. Reynolds Scholarship in Business Journalism
- Oct 10, 2016 6 Missouri Graduate Students Receive Scholarships for Digital News Preservation Event
- Aug 18, 2016 Meet New J-Students: Meredith Wright
- Jul 21, 2016 Meet New J-Students: Jasmine-Kay Johnson
- Jul 06, 2016 St. Louis Press Club Awards Scholarships to 6 Missouri Journalism Students
- Jun 06, 2016 Claudia Guthrie Named Winner of Kansas City Press Club Scholarship
- May 27, 2016 Francisco Vara-Orta Is One of Five Selected for Inaugural ProPublica Scholarship
- May 27, 2016 Adam Vogler Named Inaugural Recipient of C. Zoe Smith Photojournalism Scholarship
- May 20, 2016 Foreign Press Association Awards Aleksandr Gorbachev $10,000 First Place Scholarship
- Apr 26, 2016 Junior Awarded Nationally-Competitive $30,000 Harry S. Truman Scholarship
- Dec 17, 2012 Two Missouri Journalism Students Named Winners of the $4,000 Rehab A. El-Buri Foundation Scholarship
- Oct 18, 2012 Business Journalism Trip to New York Helps Students Network and Prepare for Internships, Careers
- May 17, 2012 Missouri School of Journalism to Test New Digital Newsroom This Summer
- Mar 20, 2012 Photojournalism Senior Receives Society of American Business Editors and Writers Award
- Dec 15, 2010 New Business Journalism Internship and Scholarship Programs Announced
- Jun 14, 2010 Research Conducted by the Center for Advanced Social Research Receives National Recognition for Excellence
- Apr 05, 2010 New Business Models for Journalism Might Include an Innovative Newsroom Café and a Perfect Calendar