MIKE MCKEAN founded the School’s Convergence Journalism program and was a longtime member of the MU Information Technology Committee.
McKean was a leader in the School’s partnerships with Apple, Inc., Adobe Systems, Hearst Innovation, AT&T, Sprint and other technology-driven firms to transform journalism education through pervasive computing. He is a frequent presenter to media companies and journalism schools in China. McKean helped design convergence journalism curricula at Nanjing University and Shantou University in China and at Moscow State University in Russia. He has lectured and organized workshops at the European Journalism Centre in Brussels, Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand, Universidad de los Andes in Chile and University of Navarra in Spain.
McKean received the MU Faculty-Alumni Award and the Kemper Teaching Fellowship, one of the top faculty awards on the MU campus. He hosted Views of the News, a weekly media criticism program that airs onKBIA-FM and KBIA.org. McKean earned a bachelor’s degree at the Missouri School of Journalism in 1979 and a master of arts in political science from Rice University in 1985. He has served on the School’s faculty since 1986.
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Oct 30, 2018 Tessa Weinberg Named the 26th David Kaplan Fellow, Will Work at ABC News Washington Bureau
- Jun 01, 2018 Fellowship Program Honoring Fallen ABC News Journalist Reaches Quarter-Century Mark
- Feb 23, 2018 The Missouri School of Journalism and MU Theatre Team Up to Co-Produce a Journalistic Play
- Nov 30, 2017 University of Missouri's Reynolds Journalism Institute Announces Spring 2018 Student Innovation Fellows
- Oct 27, 2017 Senior Allison Pecorin Named the 25th David Kaplan Fellow
- Aug 02, 2017 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students and Alumni to Present More than 80 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- Mar 22, 2017 Reynolds Journalism Institute Announces Leadership Changes to Help Manage Growth
- Nov 07, 2016 Master's Student Named 2017 David Kaplan Memorial Fellow
- Nov 06, 2016 Finalists Selected to Develop Mobile Intelligence Apps for Journalism
- Jul 25, 2016 Faculty, Students, Alumni to Present Almost 90 Papers at Global Conference
- May 05, 2016 An Interviewing Tool for the Apple Watch Wins RJI Student Competition
- Mar 01, 2016 Missouri Students Team Up with Associated Press to Produce Virtual Reality View of the New York City Subway
- Oct 21, 2013 Alex Mallin Named David Kaplan Fellow, Will Work at ABC News Washington Bureau
- Aug 22, 2013 Professor Mike McKean Named New Mizzou Advantage Facilitator
- Jul 09, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Help Create New App to Find Locally Grown Produce
- Mar 08, 2013 Blog Documenting Pioneering Course in Drone Journalism Launched
- Dec 21, 2010 Convergence Journalism Senior Nick Gass Receives the David Kaplan Memorial Fellowship
- Nov 29, 2010 Hearst, Reynolds Journalism Institute, Adobe, Google and Sprint Nextel Announce Student Mobile Media Design Competition
- Oct 11, 2010 Four Journalism Alumni Honored at Mizzou Alumni Association Awards Ceremony
- Jun 07, 2010 Glenn Leshner Named O.O. McIntyre Professor for 2010
- May 06, 2010 Hearst Corporation, Reynolds Journalism Institute and Adobe Announce Winners of Student Interactive Design Competition
- Oct 26, 2009 Master's Student Boris Korby Awarded David Kaplan Memorial Fellowship, Will Intern at ABC Washington News Bureau
- May 29, 2009 Betty Houchin Winfield Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Apr 22, 2009 Missouri School of Journalism, Reynolds Journalism Institute to Host National Online Chat with T. Boone Pickens on U.S. Foreign Oil Dependency, Current State of Energy Reporting
- Jan 29, 2009 Upcoming Seminar Will Focus on Improving Print and Electronic Publications
- Oct 19, 2007 Master's Student Named David Kaplan Memorial Fellow at ABC News in D.C.
- May 31, 2007 Woelfel Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship
- Apr 25, 2007 Convergence Journalism Professor Earns 2007 Excellence in Education Award for Extracurricular Work with Students
- Apr 03, 2007 Convergence Journalism Project Offers Media Outlet for Columbia Schools
- Mar 08, 2007 Convergence Journalism Students Use Cutting-Edge Skills to Promote Film Festival
- Nov 10, 2006 Collaborative Merge of KBIA, KOMU and the Missourian Newsrooms Creates a New Convergence Experience for Students
- Oct 24, 2006 Strategic Planning for Strategic Communication Education
- Oct 16, 2006 MA Student Named 2006 David Kaplan Memorial Fellow at ABC News in D.C.
- Jun 29, 2006 Media Convergence Student Wins a $10,000 Scripps Howard Top Ten Scholarship
- Feb 27, 2006 Missouri-Moscow State Faculty Collaborate to Offer New Convergence Course
Updated: December 13, 2019