By Joan Niesen
Columbia, Mo. (Oct. 26, 2009) — Boris Korby, a second-year master’s student at the Missouri School of Journalism, was awarded the David Kaplan Memorial Fellowship, which will provide him with a spring internship at the ABC News Washington Bureau.
The fellowship, which was created in 1993 by Sam Donaldson of ABC News, honors the late David Kaplan, his field producer and close friend who was killed by a sniper in Sarajevo. Donaldson, whose wife is an alumna of the School, wanted to provide an opportunity for Missouri students interested in careers as behind-the-scenes reporters and researchers through work in the network’s D.C. office.
“While the demands of the ABC News Washington Bureau have changed quite a bit over the past 17 year, students chosen for the Kaplan Fellowship still need to have a passion for public policy news, know what it takes to make a story visually appealing and have the personality to thrive in a pressure-cooker environment,” said Mike McKean, associate professor and chair of the selection committee.
Korby will work on his professional project while working for ABC in a paid position. This semester he is helping develop an iPhone application for KOMU-TV in a joint venture between the College of Engineering and the School of Journalism. He worked at Bloomberg News last summer and believes that his experience in a major corporate media environment will help him at ABC.
“Boris will be another J-School success story when he returns from ABC News in Washington next spring,” McKean said.
Updated: May 6, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 04, 2018 Journalism School Celebrates 50 Years of Washington, D.C. Program with Event on Dec. 5
- Oct 30, 2018 Tessa Weinberg Named the 26th David Kaplan Fellow, Will Work at ABC News Washington Bureau
- Jun 01, 2018 Fellowship Program Honoring Fallen ABC News Journalist Reaches Quarter-Century Mark
- Dec 04, 2015 Broadcast Senior Andrea Gonzales Awarded $10,000 Kaplan Fellowship
- Jul 13, 2015 Politico Selects Missouri Student for Journalism Institute Class of 2015
- Jun 29, 2015 Master's Student Snaps Another's Dash to Win the 'Running of the Interns' Race
- Feb 11, 2015 CNBC Introduces the Launch of the 2015 CNBC Summer Fellowship Program