Columbia, Mo. (March 22, 2013) — Dan Kennedy, a radio-television journalism senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, has received a top 10 placement in the Broadcast News Competition II of the Journalism Awards Program sponsored by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation.
Kennedy’s entry was a September 2012 story about price gouging at Mid-Missouri’s only four-star hotel. His investigation revealed that the Tiger Hotel was charging some customers double for reservations they had made at a lower price months in advance for SEC home football weekends. After the story aired, the state’s attorney general and Sen. Kurt Schaefer got involved and demanded the hotel refund customers.
That story, Kennedy said, allowed him to experience firsthand how he could be an advocate for viewers. Kennedy will receive a certificate for earning eighth place.
The judges for this category, all professionals in radio and television, were Edward Esposito, vice president, Information Media, Rubber City Radio Group, Akron, Ohio; Kate O’Brian, senior vice president, ABC News, New York; and Fred Young, retired senior vice president of News, Hearst Television Inc., Yardley, Pa.
The 2012-13 broadcast news competitions are held in 106 member colleges and universities of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication with accredited undergraduate journalism programs. The Broadcast News Competition was added in 1988 to the Hearst Foundation’s Journalism Awards Program that for 53 years has included writing, photojournalism and multimedia, and now offers awards totaling up to $500,000 in scholarships, matching grants and stipends.
Updated: July 14, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jun 19, 2015 KOMU-TV Students, Faculty Win 9 Awards From Kansas City Press Club
- Apr 22, 2015 Top TV Recruiters Tap Missouri Journalism Students for Job Openings
- Jan 27, 2015 Radio Features by Hope Kirwan Place Tenth in National Hearst Competition
- Jan 09, 2015 Senior Tyler Greever Places in Top 10 in Hearst TV Features Competition
- Nov 21, 2013 Matt Evans and Brynne Whittaker Win the Dean's Award for TV Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Apr 17, 2013 NPR Honors Radio-TV Journalism Senior Alexandra Olgin with Its National Youth Media Award
- Apr 08, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Wins First Place and $10,000 in Hearst's Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition
- Apr 05, 2013 Blake Ursch Wins Fourth Place in College Personality Profile Writing in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Apr 04, 2013 Two Missouri School of Journalism Students Place in Top 10 of Picture Story/Series Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 22, 2013 Radio-Television Journalism Senior Dan Kennedy Places in Top 10 of Hearst Broadcast News Competition
- Mar 21, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Place Second and Third in the Enterprise Reporting Category of the Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Josh Barone, BJ '12, Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Program's Enterprise Reporting Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Malcolm Koh Receives Fourth Place Award in Multimedia Competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 14, 2013 Jessica Reese Places in Top 10 of Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Dec 20, 2012 Two Missouri School of Journalism Photojournalism Seniors Win in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Apr 17, 2012 Print and Digital News Senior Earns a Top 10 Ranking in Hearst 'Breaking News' Intercollegiate Writing Competition
- Mar 16, 2012 Two Radio-TV Journalism Students Place Second and Fourth in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 28, 2012 Journalism Senior Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Awards Multimedia Competition
- Feb 20, 2012 Work of Two Missouri School of Journalism Students Places in Top 10 in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 01, 2012 Photojournalism Students Place in Top Five in Hearst Journalism Awards Program