San Francisco (April 5, 2013) — Missouri School of Journalism senior Blake Ursch won fourth place in the College Personality Profile Writing category in the 53rd annual Journalism Awards Program sponsored by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation.
Ursch wins a $1,000 scholarship for his placement, and the School receives a matching grant.
Ursch won for “Former Bat Boy Works to Keep KOM League Alive,” his story of John Hall, who 50 years before was a batboy for the Kansas-Oklahoma-Missouri League. The story ran in the May 5, 2012, issue of the Columbia Missourian. Here is an excerpt from his winning entry:
The computer screen in front of him shows a spreadsheet with 1,588 names. Hall closes his eyes and asks you to select a name.
Hall doesn’t hesitate: Jimmy Heavner was from Sayre, Pa., and played for the Ponca City Dodgers. He only played maybe a game or so.
But that wasn’t really fair; he saw where you were pointing. Try again.
Dale Hendricks is from Bremerton, Wash. He played for Ponca City for a year, left, and came back again. He raised as close to full-blooded wolves as you can get.
One more. Scroll down this time.
William Wesley Mullenaux played for Pittsburg in 1947. He was born in 1927 in Carroll County, Md., and died in Sykesville, Md.
If you had to keep going, Hall could keep up. Of the 1,588 names on the screen, Hall has contacted 1,400 of the players themselves, or friends and family if they are deceased.
There were 113 students from 64 universities who participated in the program’s fourth writing competition of this academic year.
Judging the writing competitions this year are: Ward Bushee, editor and executive vice president, The San Francisco Chronicle; Marty Kaiser, editor and senior vice president, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and John Temple, managing editor, The Washington Post.
The Hearst Journalism Awards Program is conducted under the auspices of accredited schools of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication and fully funded and administered by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation. It consists of five monthly writing competitions, two photojournalism competitions, three broadcast news competitions and four multimedia competitions, with Championship finals in all divisions. The program awards up to $500,000 in scholarships and grants annually.
Updated: July 15, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Mar 16, 2021 Missouri School of Journalism junior honored with Hearst Journalism Award recognition for multimedia innovative storytelling
- Feb 16, 2021 Journalism seniors receive honors from 2020–21 Hearst award for Multimedia Narrative Storytelling
- Feb 04, 2021 Journalism senior Annabel Thorpe receives second place 2020-21 Hearst award for television feature
- Apr 13, 2016 Keith Greenwood Recognized for Excellence in Writing Intensive Teaching
- Apr 12, 2016 11 Journalism Alumni Headline 'Words Matter' Writing Conference at the School
- Apr 04, 2016 Missouri Journalism Students Selected as Great Plains Journalism Awards Finalists
- Jan 15, 2016 Rachel Wittel Places in Top 10 in Hearst Television Broadcast Features
- May 20, 2014 Missouri Wins First Place in Hearst Broadcast News Intercollegiate Competition
- May 06, 2014 Danielle Kass Places Third, Wins $1,500 Scholarship in Breaking News Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 11, 2014 Brendan Meyer Takes Eighth Place in Sports Writing in the National Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 06, 2014 Sam Gause Wins First Place in National Hearst Narrative Multimedia Storytelling Competition for 'Transitions in Flight' Feature
- Jan 15, 2014 Missouri Journalism Senior Sam Gause Places Ninth in National Hearst Photojournalism Competition
- Dec 19, 2013 In-depth Features by Missouri School of Journalism Student Wins First Place in Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Dec 17, 2013 Sam Gause and Megan May Win Dean's Award for Multimedia Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Dec 17, 2013 Abbey Sussell and Andrew Wagaman Win Dean's Award for Enterprise Reporting in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 21, 2013 Matt Evans and Brynne Whittaker Win the Dean's Award for TV Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 12, 2013 Sam Gause and Whitney Hayward Win Dean's Award for Photojournalism News/Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Apr 08, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Wins First Place and $10,000 in Hearst's Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition
- Apr 05, 2013 Blake Ursch Wins Fourth Place in College Personality Profile Writing in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Apr 04, 2013 Two Missouri School of Journalism Students Place in Top 10 of Picture Story/Series Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 22, 2013 Radio-Television Journalism Senior Dan Kennedy Places in Top 10 of Hearst Broadcast News Competition
- Mar 21, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Place Second and Third in the Enterprise Reporting Category of the Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Josh Barone, BJ '12, Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Program's Enterprise Reporting Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Malcolm Koh Receives Fourth Place Award in Multimedia Competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 14, 2013 Jessica Reese Places in Top 10 of Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Apr 18, 2012 Profile Titled 'Man Gone Wild' Earns Junior Blake Ursch a Top 10 Win in the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Apr 17, 2012 Print and Digital News Senior Earns a Top 10 Ranking in Hearst 'Breaking News' Intercollegiate Writing Competition
- Mar 16, 2012 Two Radio-TV Journalism Students Place Second and Fourth in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 28, 2012 Journalism Senior Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Awards Multimedia Competition
- Jun 02, 2005 James Carlson Wins National Writing Championship; Matt Talhelm Places in Television Category
- May 16, 2005 Missouri School of Journalism Places Second in Hearst Writing Awards, Fourth Overall
- May 13, 2005 Getsinger and Hoops Among Top 20 Winners in Hearst Spot News Writing Contest
- Apr 04, 2005 Journalism Students Win First, Eighth Place in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 10, 2005 Kristen Hare Wins Sifford Prize for Journalism
- Nov 30, 2004 Missouri Student Wins Hearst Journalism Award
- Jun 21, 2004 Missouri Journalism Wins Hearst Overall Intercollegiate Competition
- Apr 26, 2004 Two Journalism Students to Participate in Hearst National Broadcast Championship
- Feb 13, 2004 Journalism Student Places First in Hearst Competition