By Erik Hall
Columbia, Mo. (April 4, 2013) — Two Missouri School of Journalism students placed in the top 10 in the Photo II-Picture Story/Series category of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program.
Sarah Hoffman received the seventh-place certificate, and Jaime Henry-White, the ninth-place certificate. The winners were selected from 61 entries submitted from 38 schools nationwide.
Hoffman’s entry was about how two sisters cope after a devastating car accident. On March 15, 2009, Kayla was a passenger in a car accident that killed her boyfriend of five months and caused her severe brain damage, broke her neck, pelvic bone and shoulder blade. Kara, the baby of the family, has become the big sister by helping Kayla feed herself, get dressed and go to sleep. Although it can be frustrating, Kara knows her sister would do the same for her.
Henry-White’s entry focuses on the story of a transgender man named Simon living in Copenhagen, Denmark. Simon has waited his entire life to transition after facing setback after setback. While waiting to move along in this process, Simon works to balances his transgender identity with being a single parent for his daughter and son.
“We are able to enter only two students in each round of the Hearst competition, and Sarah and Jamie are great representatives of the dedicated and passionate photojournalism students we have in our program,” said David Rees, chair of the photojournalism faculty. “We are proud of them and the outstanding, intimate storytelling work they produce.”
The photojournalism judges are: Steve Gonzales, director of photography, Houston Chronicle; Sue Morrow, assistant multimedia editor, Sacramento Bee, Calif; and Jakub Mosur, freelance photographer, San Francisco.
The Hearst Journalism Awards Program has held an annual photojournalism contest since 1970. The Awards Program also includes five writing contests, three broadcast competitions and four multimedia competitions offering up to $500,000 in scholarships.
Updated: July 15, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jun 24, 2014 Student Multimedia Project Honored at the Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism in Germany
- May 06, 2014 Danielle Kass Places Third, Wins $1,500 Scholarship in Breaking News Category of Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 11, 2014 Brendan Meyer Takes Eighth Place in Sports Writing in the National Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 06, 2014 Sam Gause Wins First Place in National Hearst Narrative Multimedia Storytelling Competition for 'Transitions in Flight' Feature
- Dec 19, 2013 In-depth Features by Missouri School of Journalism Student Wins First Place in Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Dec 17, 2013 News Professionals Select Missouri as the Top J-School in the Country
- Dec 04, 2013 'Politics of the Black Body' Series Explores Questions About Media and Visual Representation
- Nov 21, 2013 Matt Evans and Brynne Whittaker Win the Dean's Award for TV Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Nov 12, 2013 Sam Gause and Whitney Hayward Win Dean's Award for Photojournalism News/Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Jun 13, 2013 Two Missouri Journalism Students Place Second, Third in National Hearst Journalism Awards Championships
- Apr 08, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Wins First Place and $10,000 in Hearst's Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition
- Apr 05, 2013 Blake Ursch Wins Fourth Place in College Personality Profile Writing in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 22, 2013 Radio-Television Journalism Senior Dan Kennedy Places in Top 10 of Hearst Broadcast News Competition
- Mar 21, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Place Second and Third in the Enterprise Reporting Category of the Hearst Multimedia Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Josh Barone, BJ '12, Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Program's Enterprise Reporting Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Malcolm Koh Receives Fourth Place Award in Multimedia Competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 14, 2013 Jessica Reese Places in Top 10 of Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Apr 18, 2012 Profile Titled 'Man Gone Wild' Earns Junior Blake Ursch a Top 10 Win in the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Apr 17, 2012 Print and Digital News Senior Earns a Top 10 Ranking in Hearst 'Breaking News' Intercollegiate Writing Competition
- Mar 16, 2012 Two Radio-TV Journalism Students Place Second and Fourth in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 28, 2012 Journalism Senior Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Awards Multimedia Competition
- Feb 20, 2012 Work of Two Missouri School of Journalism Students Places in Top 10 in Hearst Journalism Awards Program