Missouri School of Journalism Has Two National Winners and One National Finalist
The 52nd annual Hearst Championships, which were held June 4-7, were the culmination of the 2011-12 Journalism Awards Program. These are held in 106 member colleges and universities of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication with accredited undergraduate journalism programs.
All winning college journalists from the 14 monthly competitions convened June 4-7 in San Francisco where they demonstrated their writing, photography, radio, television or multimedia skills in rigorous on-the-spot assignments. The media professionals who judged the finalists’ work throughout the year and at the championships developed the final competition assignments. The winners were announced during the final awards ceremony on June 7.
The Missouri School of Journalism winners and the awards they received are:
National Television Broadcast News Championship
- Third Place: David Earl Wietlispach, $3,000 award
- Finalist: Blake Hanson, $1,500 award
National Multimedia Championship
- Third Place: Sarah Hoffman, $3,000 award
The broadcast news judges were: Edward Esposito, vice president, information media, Rubber City Radio Group, Akron, Ohio; Kate O’Brian, senior vice president, ABC News, New York; and Fred Young, retired senior vice president of news, Hearst Television Inc., Yardley, Pa.
The multimedia judges were: Cory Tolbert Haik, executive producer, news, innovations and strategic projects, The Washington Post, Arlington, Va., Geri Migielicz, executive editor, Story4, Ben Lomond, Calif.; and Jennifer Sizemore, vice president/editor-in-chief, MSNBC.com, executive producer, NBC News.
The William Randolph Hearst Foundation was established by its namesake in 1948 under California non-profit laws, exclusively for educational and charitable purposes. Since then, the Hearst Foundations have contributed $901 million to numerous educational programs, health and medical care, human services and the arts in every state.
Updated: June 9, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 17, 2013 News Professionals Select Missouri as the Top J-School in the Country
- Nov 21, 2013 Matt Evans and Brynne Whittaker Win the Dean's Award for TV Features in Mastering the Method Contest
- Apr 08, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Wins First Place and $10,000 in Hearst's Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Josh Barone, BJ '12, Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Program's Enterprise Reporting Competition
- Feb 04, 2013 Malcolm Koh Receives Fourth Place Award in Multimedia Competition of the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jan 14, 2013 Jessica Reese Places in Top 10 of Hearst Radio News and Features Competition
- Dec 20, 2012 Two Missouri School of Journalism Photojournalism Seniors Win in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Dec 07, 2012 Christie Megura, BJ '12, Earns Fourth Place, Wins $1,000 Scholarship for Feature Writing in Hearst Journalism Award Program
- Jun 12, 2012 2012 Hearst National Championship Winners Named
- May 14, 2012 Missouri School of Journalism Places in Top Ten in Hearst Multimedia Competition IV
- Apr 18, 2012 Profile Titled 'Man Gone Wild' Earns Junior Blake Ursch a Top 10 Win in the Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Apr 17, 2012 Print and Digital News Senior Earns a Top 10 Ranking in Hearst 'Breaking News' Intercollegiate Writing Competition
- Mar 16, 2012 Two Radio-TV Journalism Students Place Second and Fourth in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 28, 2012 Journalism Senior Places in Top 10 of Hearst Journalism Awards Multimedia Competition
- Feb 20, 2012 Work of Two Missouri School of Journalism Students Places in Top 10 in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Feb 01, 2012 Photojournalism Students Place in Top Five in Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Jun 02, 2005 James Carlson Wins National Writing Championship; Matt Talhelm Places in Television Category
- May 16, 2005 Missouri School of Journalism Places Second in Hearst Writing Awards, Fourth Overall
- May 13, 2005 Getsinger and Hoops Among Top 20 Winners in Hearst Spot News Writing Contest
- May 10, 2005 Journalism Senior Named Finalist in 2005 Hearst National Writing Championship