Columbia, Mo. (April 18, 2017) — Check out the behind-the-scenes sports action of Missouri students as they report, photograph, film, edit and share, create and more for the school’s professional news outlets and agencies, national publications as well as campus media. Opportunities are available for all years in school, freshmen through senior. Follow us on Twitter @MUJschoolSports to receive updates.
Senior Covers McDonald’s All-American Game for PowerMizzou.com
Senior Colton Pouncy contributes to PowerMizzou.com, Missouri’s Rivals website. For the week of March 27, he was in Chicago to cover the McDonald’s All-American game, focusing on a Missouri angle as he covers new Mizzou commit Michael Porter Jr., the No. 1 recruit in ESPN’s 2017 rankings.
Freshman Covers Missouri Pro Day for DallasCowboys.com
Freshman Garrett Jones covered the Missouri NFL pro day on March 23 for DallasCowboys.com at the Missouri Athletic Training Complex for which he filed a story highlighting Missouri defensive end Charles Harris, a likely first round pick. [More]
Sophomore Files Story from Memphis, Site of Elite Eight Game
Sophomore Alec Lewis, who writes for the Kansas City Star, filed a story with a Missouri angle on “one and done” prospects from Memphis where Kentucky and North Carolina faced off for a trip to the Final Four on March 26. [More]
Students Cover Cuonzo Martin Introductory Press Conference
Student reporters from the Columbia Missourian, KOMU-TV, MUTV, The Maneater, PowerMizzou.com and the Kansas City Star covered the press conference introducing Cuonzo Martin as Missouri’s new men’s basketball coach on March 20. Students who covered the press conference include:
- Senior Ron Davis and junior Jason Lowenthal: Columbia Missourian
- Seniors Mark Kim, Chris Turner and Jacob Kornhauser: KOMU-TV 8
- Freshmen Nathalie Jones and Aaron Carter: MUTV
- Freshman Nick Kelly: The Maneater
- Sophomore Alec Lewis: The Kansas City Star
- Seniors Alex Schiffer and Colton Pouncy: PowerMizzou.com
Senior Covers Local High School Signing Day for KOMU-TV
Senior Marissa Rubino covered signing day at Battle High School in Columbia to file a story about three generations of college athletes in one local family on April 4. She filed the package for KOMU-TV, mid-Missouri’s NBC affiliate where Missouri journalism students staff the newsroom. [More]
Senior Begins Working for Columbia’s ABC Affiliate
Senior Tyler Murry is now covering sports for KMIZ-TV, mid-Missouri’s ABC affiliate. Murry will graduate in May.
Underclassmen Win Six Awards at 2017 Missouri College Media Association Conference
Students recently won six awards for sports stories produced for The Maneater, Mizzou’s independent newspaper.
- Sophomore Alec Lewis won first place in Sports Writing.
- Freshman Eli Lederman won first place in Sports Column.
- Junior Peter Baugh won first place in In-Depth News Reporting and an honorable mention in Sports Writing.
- Junior Nate Gatter won third place in Sports Column.
- Sophomore Griffin Schaetzle won honorable mention in Sports Column.
Updated: October 16, 2020