Martenzie Johnson Will Intern at MLB.com, and Caitlin Swieca, the Denver Post, after the Summer Workshop
Columbia, Mo. (Jan. 9, 2013) — Master’s student Martenzie Johnson and junior Caitlin Swieca will be among a nationwide group of 12 students to participate in the 2013 Sports Journalism Institute (SJI).
SJI, which was founded in 1993 to help women and minority students get starts in sports departments across the country, announced its partnership with Missouri in 2011. SJI holds its “boot camp” in the newsroom of the Columbia Missourian, and the School is allowed to nominate a scholar to the program. Approximately 250 women and minorities are on the staffs of the nation’s sports media because of SJI.
The group of six men and six women (four African-Americans, four Latinos, three white females and one Asian-American) will make up the Class of 2013, which will be in residence at the Missouri School of Journalism from May 31-June 8, after which students will move on to internships around the country.
The work experience that awaits the Class of 2013 is as diverse as the class, with interns placed at Associated Press Sports Editors-member newspapers as well as ESPN.com and MLB.com. This year, the Washington Times and Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch will each host an intern chosen through APSE’s partnership with Scripps Howard, which provides students with a stipend that pays their summer expenses.
Industry professionals will teach the students during the boot camp, with assistance from School’s faculty. Leon Carter and Sandy Rosenbush, both editors at ESPN, and Greg Lee, sports editor of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale, direct the program.
Johnson is Missouri’s choice under the partnership agreement, and he will intern at MLB.com this summer. He is a teaching assistant in the Cross-Cultural Journalism class and has served as a sports beat writer at the Columbia Missourian. Johnson earned his bachelor of arts degree in journalism and mass communication from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. There he was the recipient of the Betty J. Frazier and Steven Mark Wiltgen Sports Media Scholarship, the Joan Kirkpatrick Professional Achievement Scholarship and the Big Ten Media Grant. Johnson was a sports content producer for the Wisconsin Sports Network.
Swieca was selected to represent the Association for Women in Sports Media, and she will intern at the Denver Post. Swieca, from Chicago, is a dual major in print and digital news and political science. She reports on the Missouri women’s basketball team for the Missourian, where she has been on staff since January 2012. Swieca previously covered Missouri baseball and Columbia College women’s basketball, among other sporting events. During the summer of 2012 she served as a sports reporting intern at the Daily Herald in suburban Chicago, where she had the opportunity to cover Major League Baseball, college sports and other minor league sports in the Chicago area.
“The Association for Women in Sports Media is thrilled to continue our partnership with SJI and our shared mission of promoting newsroom diversity,” said Lindsay Jones, AWSM intern coordinator. “Our past SJI interns have arrived at their internships with a head start on their summers through SJI’s invaluable training program.”
SJI partners include the Asian-American Journalists Association, which select one member of the class each year; the National Association of Hispanic Journalists; and the National Association of Black Journalists, whose former president, Greg Lee, is a 1994 SJI alumnus and founding partner APSE.
“The Sports Journalism Institute is an important program, and it was great having the students in our newsroom last summer,” said Associate Professor Greg Bowers, sports editor at the Missourian. “We’re looking forward to doing it again.”
Other members of the Institute’s 2013 and their summer internship assignments are:
- Christopher Chavez, sophomore, Marquette University, Salt Lake Tribune.
- Brandon Theo Dorsey, sophomore, Hampton University, Washington Times.
- Rebecca Fitzgerald, junior, State University of New York at Geneseo, Kansas City Star.
- Erica A. Hernandez, sophomore, University of Florida, Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel.
- Isabelle Khurshudyan, junior, University of South Carolina, ESPN.com.
- Alvaro Ignacio Montaño, senior, University of Houston, Los Angeles Daily News.
- Kelly Parsons, senior, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
- Christian Trevino, senior, University of Maryland, College Park, MLB.com.
- Rhiannon Walker, sophomore, University of Maryland, College Park, The Oklahoman.
- Kristian Winfield, junior, Hampton University, Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Updated: July 13, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Feb 24, 2020 Columbia Missourian sports section, 20 students score big at national APSE awards contest
- Feb 17, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism students gain hands-on experience covering Super Bowl, fan experience live from Miami
- Jan 28, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism student Chelsea Roemer named one of eight AWSM Scholars across the nation
- Dec 18, 2017 Missouri Journalism Students to Gain Hands-On Experience Covering Dec. 27 Bowl Game
- May 03, 2017 Mizzou Alumnus Vahe Gregorian, MA '88, Talks Sports Journalism
- Apr 18, 2017 Inside Sports: Missouri School of Journalism
- Feb 22, 2017 Association for Women in Sports Media Members Attend National Conference
- Jan 26, 2017 Senior Colton Pouncy Selected for National Sports Journalism Institute
- Dec 20, 2016 Fall 2016 @ Mizzou: Pursuing Sports Writing Dream at Missouri
- Oct 31, 2016 Where Are They Now? Morgan Uber, BJ '15
- Sep 29, 2016 St. Louis Cardinals Partner with Sports and Entertainment Promotions for New Promotional Strategy
- Aug 31, 2016 Association for Women in Sports Media Members Attend National Convention
- Jun 30, 2016 Kandice Head Selected for #NABJNAHJ16 Student Multimedia Project
- Jan 06, 2016 Missouri Faculty, Alumni, Students Publish New Textbook on Cross-Cultural Journalism
- Dec 21, 2015 Junior Aaron Reiss Selected for National Sports Journalism Institute
- Nov 30, 2015 MSNBC Managing Editor Rashida Jones Headlines 4th Annual Unity Conference
- Nov 17, 2015 Missouri Honor Medalist Lincoln Stephens Presents 'Life Is A Pitch' Workshop
- Sep 25, 2015 National Association of Black Journalists Chapter Hosts Speed Mentoring Activity
- Apr 15, 2015 Missouri Wins Top Association of Women in Sports Media Honor
- Sep 03, 2014 MU Chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists Wins Student Chapter of the Year
- Jul 29, 2014 The Associated Press Sports Editors Award $1,500 Scholarship to Senior Joe Trezza
- Jul 28, 2014 Master's Student Gets Chance to Speak at National Sports Editors Conference
- Apr 21, 2014 Missouri Journalism Master's Graduate Chris Hamby Earns Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting
- Mar 21, 2014 Bridget Botchway Bradley Wins 2014 Undergraduate Inclusive Excellence Award
- Feb 27, 2014 ESPN Sports Anchor Cara Capuano Speaks to Missouri AWSM Members
- Feb 06, 2014 Annie Dankelson to Intern at MLB.com as Part of Her Selection for the National Sports Journalism Institute
- Dec 06, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Deliver the Ultimate in SEC Championship Game Coverage
- Mar 21, 2013 Columbia Missourian Wins 11 Awards in the Associated Press Sports Editors Contest
- Mar 15, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Cover SEC Basketball Tournament in Nashville
- Jan 09, 2013 2 Missouri Journalism Students among the 12 Selected for the National Sports Journalism Institute